Lori's Minute

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

What a differance a day makes

WARNING....WARNING.....WARNING

For those of you who do not like to read complaints I would skip today's post but I have a strong need to get it all out.

Last night we stopped at a restaurant before going grocery shopping. I let my five year old pick out the table while hubby waited and paid for the food(I never have cash on me). Finally, afer walking in circles he picks out a spot which only has three chairs. I assume he and his sister will share this table and hubby and I will share another one. My daughter comes up and says, "Can daddy sit with us?"

I am literally crushed. This always happens and I usually blow it off but this time I was really hurt. I had thought after allowing her to spend a week at her grandparents, having a practically week long birthday where the only chore she had to do was clean her room, having two friends sleepover and now going to camp where I am paying $200 so she can play dodgeball most of the day (huh?) might put me in a better light.

But no...now I am forced to look at my mothering style and what I am doing that is making it so she would rather be with dad than with mom ALL THE TIME!!!! It is true he gets to do all the fun stuff with her...go to the Blizzard games and Lifefest. Yes, I could go but then it is two more people costing twice as much and since I do the bills I know what our financial situation is and I do not want to spend more money if I can save it.

Yeah, I can be irritable and impatient but I also can be funny and put up with a lot of nonsense and flexible about A LOT OF THINGS!!!

So, today I feel like being a baby and I am going to hang out with my son and play with his new Star War characters.
We have been playing with them all morning along with the soldier guys, a plastic shark which continues to try to attack Darth Vader and a yellow balloon which tries to attack occasiionally.(According to my son, we can destroy the ballon by popping it but the mission has been unsuccessful so far_. )

I don't want any comments because I know I am being petty and selfish but I just needed to get it out of my system.

I'll do better and feel better tomorrow.

11 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

Lori, you said you didn't want comments but I'm going to anyway LOL

I think you have every right to feel that way, you are entitled to feel left out or second choice. I feel that way with my kids many many times, I don't think they do it intentionally and I honestly don't think they love daddy more than mommy.

I always tell my hubby that I spend all day with the kids, but then he comes home and they want nothing to do with me, or if they have a choice, they pick daddy.....I think they just want the one that does all the fun stuff....which leaves me in the dust. LOL

Don't worry too much about it, but I do understand the feeling....

Hope you have a better day tomorrow,
Sandra

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

JUst know that dad's are so insecure they need all that love and praise. It changes when you get to be a grandparent then they want to sit with grandma.( Or is it that she pays the bills)

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger kristi said...

You may not want a comment but I am leaving it for you anyway.

I know what you mean by not going to a lot of things for saving money but remember, they are only children once. I have missed out on a lot by trying to save money, like Monster Truck Jam, every year hubby takes the boys to it and I stay behind, but this year I decided to go, I had an awesome time and it was worth every penny to have shared that with my kids. No matter what Lori, your kids love you and they always will. They always prefer daddy instead, he doesn't yell as much!!! Try not to feel so bad, I know that your feelings are hurt. Just remember tomorrow is a new day and it will be better

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Catch said...

I dont know how I missed your blog yesterday...and now Im not supposed to leave a comment....well I have to. I know you are feeling bad and that makes me feel bad. Little girls have a bond with Daddy,just like I am sure your son has a bond with you. Dont feel bad Lori, your too good of a Mother and a person to beat yourself up over it. She loves you just as much as she loves her daddy. Cheer up Sweety...huggs!

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Catch said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger Catch said...

Im sorry..I put my post in twice so I removed the second one...now here I am doing another one...lol

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad you are getting a comment from me to.

You are Not being petty or selfish. First of all every parent feels that way at one time or another.I sometimes do already. Second, what happened does not reflect on your mothering skills at all. You are the one home with the kids the most in general. So being with dad is probably a bit of a treat. Plus you probably get to do a bit more of the corrective stuff with them. Lots of moms end up feeling the way you do cause sometimes dad seems like another big kid to them. When he does stuff with them it is fun stuff since he works etc. Mom is the one who gets the fun along with the unenoyable stuff.It is kind of like the kids who love the oldest sibling who is away at college the best, but when the come home they get sick of them after awhile.I know it hurts but please no you are doing or feeling nothing wrong in any way!

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger fennymun said...

I am feeling much relieved after reading your blog and all the others' comments, 'cause I am not the only one feeling that way. This seems to be a universal truth that kids prefer they daddy who plays fun and crazy stuff with them after work; whereas mommy on second choices (sometimes, I would say). Anyway, they would know what they miss if mommy stays away for a whole day....

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Cindy said...

I know what you mean-sometimes I feel the same way. My now 18 year old is the same way. It's Mom for the crisis and Dad for everything else sometimes.

 
At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home