Lori's Minute

Monday, July 10, 2006

Favorite Memory of All Time

My favorite memory of all time happened eleven years ago today, the day my daughter was born. I have talked about it before I think, on Mother's Day but it is such a great memory, it bears repeating.

Now, my favorite part was not the moment she was born even though that was a great moment and I even start to cry (I am a non-cryer). It was not the part where I saw my mother holding her first grandchild sitting the in the rocker nor was it when the baby was in the bassinet and my husband walked in and she turned her head when he spoke (pretty good for only being a couple hours old...now we have to yell at her to get her attention but that is another blog).

Anyway, my all time favorite part came at night just as we were going to sleep. The nurses were finally leaving us alone, my husband had to go home and get some sleep and let the dog out and all the visitors had left. Everyone else had seen her with her eyes open but me. I was holding her and wondering how I was going to be as a mother. i had worried about it because of my RP (progressive blindness) and how was I going to do this?

And then, at that precise moment came my favorite memory of all time. I was holding her, she opened one of her eyes and looked up at me as if to say, 'So, you my mom? Cool." She then closed her eyes and went to sleep as if to say everything was the way it should be. And it was.

And all is right with the world.

10 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a special memory. When I first saw Binker he was bundled up and all I could see was his face. He was about to be taken away to Yale and I could not hold him and only was being shown to me for a quick second. He had a look on his face that said to me "I am here now momma. I love you. But I have to go with this guy now." I will never forget it.

Happy Birthday to your littl egirl!

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger kristi said...

That is a beautiful story...now when I first saw my oldest son it was like.....Oh....Your my mom, and now what do we do with one another????

My youngest son, always would smile in his sleep from the very beginning, I knew he was going to be happy. He still has the same smile!!!

Happy Birthday to you daughter

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Happy birthday to your daughter -- and may she continue to bring treasured memories to her mother.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger butterflies said...

What a lovely post..The memories our kids give us are the best.
I remember when my son was about 5 weeks old and I told him..youre sposed to smile now and he did:) hes 31 now and hes still a wonderful boy.
Happy birthday to your little girl.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

What a wonderful menory. Happy birthday to her. I remember her as being so tiny I was afraid to hold her.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Big Pissy said...

Awwwwww.....that is sooooo sweet!

Those kind of moments are the ones we never forget.

Happy Birthday to your little girl! :)

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Catch said...

Thats beautiful Lori! When I had my first baby they gave you gas and you were knocked out, I didnt get to see him till the next morning! Of course that was 36 years ago! When I had my other 2 I was wide awake..its a beautiful time..I dont think a Mother ever forgets it. Happy Birthday to Bree!!!!!

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

What a wonderful memory. What a wonderful girl.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger CindyMae said...

What a beautiful memory! Thank you for sharing. Happy Birthday to her!!!

Thanks for stopping by Cindy's Stuff as well!

God Bless,
Cindy

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Louisiana said...

what a beautiful green. i had to check twice, i thought i had the wrong blog...funny how much things can change in just a couple of wks...
i love your dolphin picture. they are so beautiful and soft and so smart and ever so cute...
i love your memory of your daughter. i have so much joy with my girls too. they are what makes the world right..just a smile or a look and it makes it all good...

hope you are all well. i have much to catch up on so it might take me a while.

hugs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home