Lori's Minute

Thursday, July 13, 2006

My Idea of Art

When I was in college, I took a course called, "History of Art" (actually it was two semesters). For a lecture class, I really liked it. My instructor would show about 60 slides, two slides at a time and talk about the artist and so on. Near the end of the semester, she showed slides of other artists versions (renditions) of "The Last Supper". One artist did it using soiled napkins and ketchup.

A guy in my class asked the question, "Why is that considered art? It is so ugly! My dog could do a better job than that!" Rather than blowing a fuse that this guy would be asking this late into the semester, she asked if anyone in the class would like to answer the question. I, who never said a word the entire semester, raised my hand. I think she was surpised but nodded so I answered. "I can understand why you would feel that way, but perhaps the artist intention is not to be beautiful, but to get some other reaction from the viewer. For instance, the first time I saw, "The Scream" I immediately felt horror and sadness and it was then I realized art does not have to be beautiful or to be enjoyed." (Not only that, it was a small black and white photo of it in a book).

I did not know if it was a good answer or not and I figured someone else would add their two cents worth but no one else did and the instructor said, "Well put" and moved on.

So, that is what I would like people who do not get art to understand, it does not need to be beautiful. I see a lot of clothes in stores but I do not like them all. It also does not have to mean something.

Family Update: We went to the camp for the dinner and skit. This year I packed a meal since in years past we had to wait or they were out of food by the time we got there. Bree was in the last group and she had a big part...she did very well. She did not seem nervous at all.

On the way home, my mother was in the back of the van with the five year old. He was talking the whole time. She finally said, 'I think you are exaggerating (sp?) Do you know what than means? It means you are making a bigger deal out of something." So they practiced saying the the word a few times. Then she said, "There you learned a new word. You are a smarty pants" and Luke said, "Oh Grandma, you are exaggerating!"

Guess you had to be there, but it was funny at the time.

Have a good one!

11 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

As I teacher I absolutely love it when the kids get a good enough handle on soemthing I've taught them to turn it against me in a joke. I know that might sound odd, but if they can use it that well, it means they truly have learned it.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Big Pissy said...

That is so cute!

and even though I'm not a teacher, I agree with quilldancer's comment. :)

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

BP -- everyone is a teacher. People watch our actions and learn from us. Some of us just get paid for it ....

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Louisiana said...

i absolutely love your answer. it was right on. good for you.

i'm glad Bree did well in her skit. she is a natural. someday we will read her name in bright lights and pay thousands of dollars to watch her, lol...

thank you for sharing the story of your son. he is smart, hillarious and absolutely adorable. just like his mom.

have a great day. enjoy.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Catch said...

oh those kids can learn a lot from us Grammys!!!!! lol

 
At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! Cute story! Kids are amazing!

I like and agree what you said about art.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

I am glad that Bree did well.
Good answer on what is art.
Luke learns fast.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

THis just makes me want to get the house sold and move down there.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Janets Planet said...

Been thinking about commenting on this. Why was that piece considered "art". Sure, eye of the beholder. But I think alot of that type of work gets noticed either because of who you are --- and where you are.

Have learned that in order to be successful in art, you dont necessarily have to be good, you can even be bad or mediocre. But you do have to be in the right place at the right time and know how to take advantage of opportunity.

 
At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home