Lori's Minute

Monday, May 08, 2006

The Nurse and my Husband

Last time I wrote about how I was royally ticked off most of time I was giving birth to my son, but for my daughter, my firstborn, it was a whole range of emotions. Most of you moms know what I am talking about but there was something else that happened that was unusual.

The hospital we went to is a teaching hospital so we had two student nurses. One of them knew HOH and they were making small talk. In between contractions I was trying to figure out what they were saying. She left to get something and my husband whispered in my ear, "Remind me to tell you about her when this is all over."

What? Whaddya mean? I have all these thoughts running through my head. Normally I am not a jealous person and this was the worst time to be thinking this but I was wondering if this was an old girlfriend and I do not want her looking where birth nurses look at this time. So, I had to endure their 'chit-chat' for hours wondering who this woman was and stop talking to him, I am the one in LABOR!

Nine hours later the baby who was stuck makes her way to the 'entrance' but there is no one there but the student nurses and my husband. The regular nurse and the doctor are out in the hallway dicussing a possible c-section and my husband looks at the student nurses who are standing there not knowing what to do. HOH yells out to the hallway, "We need some help here!" The nurse comes flying in and says, "Oh my goodness" and starts getting the 18 million layers of towels to put down. Finally, the doctor comes in, I push, and my daughter arrives and we are so happy.

I am still thinking about this nurse and when is she going to leave? I am waiting for my chance to ask. Now I have purple bruises all over my face from pushing.

I hear the baby crying, the nurses are calling out her measurements and I am trying to make mental notes of everything they are saying. SHe is five weeks early but has a healthy set of lungs, that is for sure!

Finally, they take the baby to the nurses station for more tests and I ask my husband about this nurse. He was from a very small town and this nurse was from his graduating class. THey all took their driving exams at the same time and they all passed except for her. THey all helped her study for the writtan exam and it took her three times to pass. To make matters worse, the ones she got right before, she now got wrong! And now she's a friggin nurse???!!!

I hope she chose another profession. She did seem very nice and she was very pretty.

Family Update: HOH has a nasty cold and was in bed all day Sunday. We have a phone system that has intercom on it so he would page my daughter (now ten) and she played room service. I tried to make comfort food but I burned the hamburgers and the fries were awful (I blame the potatoes...not the right kind) but at least the choc. shake came out yummy. I do not think I will do well on 'post your weight loss Tuesday' but I am starting again today to eat better.

Have a good one!

7 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Blogger Catch said...

I can imagine the thoughts that were going through your head while trying to give birth! And now she is a nurse? Hopefully she takes a taxi to work....:))

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Louisiana said...

jealousy or insecurities poke their heads into ours in the most interesting times...it's often our hormones i think...;)

i'm glad that baby was okay, 5 wks early is alot of time!

i'm sorry that your hubby is still sick. I hope that you and the kids haven't gotten it. I hope he feels better today.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

I had not heard that story before now you have me wondering who she was. The oldest is still healthy and a joy to be around.

Both Dr John and I have bad colds we wonder what to take at night because the expert lung doc said not to take any thing that makes you sleep eg sleeping pills does that also mean Nite Quil.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Penelda said...

I am sad to hear that Peter is still sick. I think the story would be a good episode on Grays Anatomy.

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I would have been cussing up a storm!You are a trooper Lori! I am gald your little one was okay!

I do not think I will do well with tomorrows weigh in. I actually gained cause since I am not cooking since the hospital, Durk is getting fastfood for us. He wont cook.

Hope HOH is better soon!

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Dr.John said...

Hey those driving tests are a pain. She probably made a good nurse. I think I have what Peter has.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

I lost a whole 1/2 pound.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home