Lori's Minute

Friday, May 05, 2006

What Memory Loss?

Who are these women who say once the baby is born, you forget all about the labor pains?

I was thinking about this yesterday because it was my son's birthday and I was trying to think what I remember the most from the day he was born and the answer is I was TICKED!!!

Why, because this birth was going just like the first one five years earlier and all the doctors and nurses said it was very unlikely it would happen again.

The first one came five weeks early, so did the second one.

The first one my water broke just after midnight, so did the second one.


The first one my first contraction was at 1:21 a.m., it was true for the second one.

The first one the contractions were hard right away and came every two minutes for nine hours, so did the second one.

So, I was mad because this one was the same as the first. The pain relief they "supposedly" gave me did not work at all both times.

But, with the second one I realized the pain was going to come whether I liked it or not so I would stare at the lights and watch it fade to black for 17 seconds before I saw the light again (both my sight and hearing totally went out with each contraction). I was afraid the doctor or nurse would say something while I as blacked out so I told them to touch my knee if they said something to me so I would know they were talking and I do not like to be touched!

If you ask my husband, he will say what he remembers is when we were coming out of the bathroom and I told the nurse I wanted "out!" She asked if I wanted out of the bathroom and I said, "No, I want to be knocked out!"

As we came into the room, the doctor had arrived and was looking at my chart. He had heard what I said and was smiling. Now, I am really ticked.

He checks me and says I am ready to push and I immediatly call him a liar.I announce to everyone, "He's lyyyiinnngggg!" There was no way I could even try to push. If it were not for my husband who said he thought he could see something happening, I would not have tried. This time after about 1/2 hour of pushing (first kid was four hours)my son arrived.

I'm still having contractions, but he is worth it.

Have a good one.

8 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Blogger Penelda said...

I am glad that you decided to push because my life would not be the same without him and you and his older sister.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow intersting that your hearing and sight would go out on each contraction. I never new that. I am glad you pushed also he is such a joy to mess with. lol

Patrick

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger kristi said...

In the end you would do it all again now wouldn't you!!! Both of my pregnancies and the births were polar opposites. The first one I was induced and it hurt like hades. The second one I went into Labor with and everything happened so fast I just made it to the hospital in time and there were no drugs. But I healed better after the second one!! Go Figure. There was a lady in California that just gave birth to a 14 pound baby that was born 4 weeks early!! C Section though but still that is a big kid

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

None of my kids came quickly and there was pain. I do not want any more babies at this age. That was the question on CNN. Should the 62 year old woman have a baby.?I don't think you forget about the pain but the intensity of it. I am glad that you went through the pain. Love those Kids.

 
At 4:59 AM, Blogger Dr.John said...

I love those kids and think your pain was worth the trouble. Betty and I would have another kid but we are afraid we wouldn't remember where we put it. It would be with taht other set of car keys.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Catch said...

I am laughing so hard about Dr Johns comment! LoL..he is so funny I bet he makes the whole family laugh!!! I had 3 children and they were all 6 years apart. Thats because I was scared to death of going through labor again! It took me at least 6 years to feel brave enough to try it again. And it hurt! The first one weighed 9 lbs, the second one weighed 10 lbs, and the third one was 8.5 lbs..and at that time I was a little gal. I felt like I was giving birth to Christmas turkeys. But yes I would do it all over again!

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not forgotten! I am more afraid to have a second child than I was to have the first! It is worth it though.

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Louisiana said...

i honestly forgot what pain was really like right until i was in labor again...once the first contraction started it all came back to me and by then there was no place to hide and no going back ;) ...
I knew it hurt like no other imaginable pain but somehow i really did forget how and what and when right until...it's all in the details, the ones that don't come crushing into my brain until i'm at it again..:)

i cannot imagine choosing to go through that pain again but i cannot imagine my life without the smell of a newborn's skin, or those suckling noises, or that sweet breath or those kittie-like cries...But i better get used to it as i think my womb is closed...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home