Lori's Minute

Monday, April 24, 2006

My Goal for the Month

My dad called me last week and started telling me about what he has in his will and what he wants when, as he put it, "kicks the bucket". This may seem like an odd conversation but this kind on stuff does not bother me because as long as he is not talking about how much he paid for a head a lettuce at the grocery store, I'm happy.

First he said he decided he wasn't going to leave money to his employer of 25 years, a local college. "The hell with them!" he said. Then he said he wanted to be donated to science, then cremated and put in a cheap cardboard box.

"Whatever you want, Dad" I say."I just want you to be happy." He even has his obituary writtan out. It is a good thing because I do not know where he went to college or when he was in the service.

HOH and I need to do a will because even though we have nothing monetary at least it wouldn't have to go to probate and all that nonsense...it would be hard on the family so it is better to have one even if you have nothing to leave to avoid the whole court thing.(That is what I heard, anyway).

So, my goal for the month is to get a will done.

Dad and I also decided to take pictures of everything in our homes and swap pictures to keep in the safe so we will have documentation on everything in the house in case something happens like a fire or tornado. (Lately, I am thinking a tornado is more likely than a fire). He recently gave everyone a new safe (my dad is very practical) so I will keep his pictures in my safe and he will keep ours in his safe. I hope we never have to use them.

So, that is two goals for the month. That is pretty good for me! Whooo-hoooo, so much excitement in our household!!!! Ok...I'm done.

Have a good one.

6 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

I was thinking I should write my desires down also so that you and others in my family won't have that concern. I was thinking about blogging about that in the future. I can't get Dr John to work with me on it.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger kristi said...

I need to do a will too, I just never think about it. I need to do it for the sheer fact that my children are young and if something happens I need to will them to someone. I have a lock box too but for some reason all of my important papers and such are just scattered about. I need to get a little more organized in that sense. I hope your son had a better day at school today!

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger Dr.John said...

Mow I know where Betty got this will thing she is pressuring me about. It is really simple I am either leaving all my extensive millions to the American Society for the Extermination of Flower Eating Deer or to the Let's Save the Springer Spaniel Group. That way there will be no fighting among my children. Oh, and don't forget at my funeral I expect "The Wicked Old Witch is Dead" from the Wizard of Oz to be sung.

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Louisiana said...

I hated those conversations with my dad (mind you he was dying). He always wanted to talk about what he couldn't and wish he was leaving us and what he could. What he wanted with the service and how .....Yuk,,,i hated those conversations and the more i tried to avoid them, the more he needed to talk. I couldn't handle talking about the inevitable and the horribleness of not being with him...My mom now talks about it, she is just 56 and in better shape than i but she is so organized and has everything done...Yuk,,,i hate those conversations...I have 5 kids and am a single mom, i too should be a responsible, mature grown up and put it all down just in case but Juk i can hardly stomach the toughts. Something else to work on as i try to grow up i guess.

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Louisiana said...

I hated those conversations with my dad (mind you he was dying). He always wanted to talk about what he couldn't and wish he was leaving us and what he could. What he wanted with the service and how .....Yuk,,,i hated those conversations and the more i tried to avoid them, the more he needed to talk. I couldn't handle talking about the inevitable and the horribleness of not being with him...My mom now talks about it, she is just 56 and in better shape than i but she is so organized and has everything done...Yuk,,,i hate those conversations...I have 5 kids and am a single mom, i too should be a responsible, mature grown up and put it all down just in case but Juk i can hardly stomach the toughts. Something else to work on as i try to grow up i guess.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very morbid. We are all dieing. Life is killing me. Stop it. I probably should do the will thing and take pictures of the junk I have in this house also. But then again I would put the pitures in a place where I know where they would be before I gave them to someone else and loose them. Or the house troll would come and take them making me rampage through the house trying to find them. I think writing down your desires is a good idea that way noone needs to fight if something should happen. I realy dont care what happens to my body after I die I dont have any good parts left to give anyone else. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home