Lori's Minute

Monday, April 03, 2006

God Gets a Night Off

Every once in awhile, I like to give God a night off from my nightly prayers to give him a break. Don't get me wrong, I still pray and give thanks, but I do not ask him for anything.

Normally, I do ask for things from God. I have the "umbrella" prayer where I ask he help "everyone in the whole world, oh, make it the whole universe or all the places you are in charge". Then I have the more specific prayers where I ask He help so-and so with an illness or someone close to us who needs strength to make it through a tough moment that occasionally occurs in life. I also have the selfish prayer where it is all about me...I want this and I want that. So, last night I gave God the night off to give him a break from all the asking I do and just thanked him for my wonderful family.

We had a good week, our family. We did not have any doctor's appointments or 911 calls. I did not get a call from the four year old's school (of course, he was home all week on spring break) and HOH had a good week at work. We hung out with my mom at the rock show, my mother-in-law had a birthday and my father-in-law is getting stronger and made up with his sister. We got to visit with my sister-in-law for too short of a visit.

Not only that, both kids made me very proud. First, the ten year old came home from school telling me how she overheard two boys at recess saying they were going to go after some kid so she followed them and told them to leave this boy alone. (This boy has a mild form of autism and my daughter has been his friend since kindergarten(sp?). She told them "I do not tolerate bullying and why are you being a bully?" They thought about it and walked away and then the bell rang. (Excuse me while I get a tissue from my proud mother box of tissues).

Then there is my four year old son. We were out and about and stopped at a gas station where my HOH picked up candy bars for all of us. When we got home, my son was eating his Hershey bar and I asked him how it was. He said it was very good and asked me if I wanted some of his bar. I said "No, thank you." and he said, "But, mom, you LOVE chocolate!"

So, God gets a night off and a big THANKS from me.

And all is right with the world.

Have a good one, people!

5 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I don't know if I could turn down chocolate! LOL!
Sometimes I give God a night off too. And my prayers are like yours,s ometimes for the world, sometimes for my family, and some for me. Most nights I just lay in bed and talk to God(in my head or my hubby would never sleep) until I fall asleep. I talk abouyt everything from my son to the weather.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

I thank God for your family too. The oldest brought tears to my eyes. I am also very proud of her. I heard that the youngest was Grandpa . Betty

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

I thank God for your family too. The oldest brought tears to my eyes. I am also very proud of her. I heard that the youngest was Grandpa . Betty

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger Dr.John said...

Sometimes I thank God for having sent my son such a wonderful wife. I hear my grandson has stopped playing baby and started playing grampa.
Grampa

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Catch said...

Hi Lori!

I like your blog...I to try not to ask for too many things for me...(I never ask to hit the lottery)...and I try to thank him for all the blessings in my life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home