Lori's Minute

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Do you have this phobia?

I have a phobia I am trying to overcome. I am not afraid of escalators like my mother or thunderstorms like my daughter but it is something I have had all my life. I am not sure what it is called but I will call it 'when can I go homephobia'?

No, it is not a desire to change partners, but when I am out of my house, I want to know when I will be home. For instance, when I went to my daughter's dance recital a few Mondays ago. I know I will see her in two dances and then we must wait until all the groups have danced before we can go home. The show starts at 6:30 and the whole time I am waiting for the show to start, I am thinking,"I wonder what time we will get to go home?" I always enjoy the performances but I cannot totally relax and enjoy the moment even though every other year we have gotten home just fine.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

Same thing happens at Christmas. We do the same thing every Christmas Eve, we got to church, then to my mother's and then home. The whole time I am supposed to be thinking about the true meaning of Christmas at church(except when I am singing the songs, I like that part and I'm always moved by the lyrics) and when I am at my mom's house watching the kids open their gifts, I think, "I wonder when we are going home?Are they done yet so we can go?"

I used to think I was this way because of my RP but now I think I would be this way even if I did not have RP. I can remember being a kid going to my grandparents farm and my dad getting upset with me because as soon as we got there I would be asking how long we were staying. It is almost as if I am afraid I will miss the boat and be stuck some place I do not want to be stuck.

I will work on getting over this phobia so I do not pass it on to my kids. Now, when we go someplace with my hunk-of-a husbands family, I let him decide so I do not have to think about when we are leaving. That way, I do not have to think about it and the last few times we have been to the in-laws, I was able to relax and enjoy myself. (I always have a good time until, you know, it is time to go...)

Family Update: Everyone is fine. We may go out for dinner...I wonder when we will be home?

STOP IT WOMAN!

Enjoy your day...

4 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Blogger kristi said...

Everyone has their vices, and it sounds like you are a homebody, my son is the same way. He hates doing anything away from home. Just try to forget about home and focus on the good time you are having and the memories that you are making with your family. That is far more worth it than worrying "When am I going home"

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

I am glad you leave home and come and visit once in a while. I need somebody to play canasta with.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Penelda said...

Well the not entirely a psychologist here but I play one on this blog.
I think it is I love my home too much phobia. It is nice to have someone who loves there home. Your daughter has picked it up a little but she asks when will... be here.
I think your plan about not knowing when you are going home is a good one.
I am a person who is always thinking about the next thing so I miss enjoying the thing I am cuurently doing.

 
At 6:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can be the same way too sometimes. And sometimes I can't get myslef to leave the house either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home