Lori's Minute

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

First Day of School

Today the kids went back to school. It is your typical "back to school" weather -wise....perfect. We were looking for perfect weather all summer and, of course, it shows up today.

My daughter was up at six as was I. I got her breakfast (milk and a pop-tart....not much but that is what she wanted). She told me how she had to wake the dog up rather than the other way around. She got dressed and we sat at the table until her friend who lives down the street, showed up. I took pictures, they looked so happy and excited. The dog was wondering where she was going without him. I told him, "Don't worry, she'll be back."

I went on the treadmill fo an hour. Hubby got up, ate breakfast (he was on his own I'm afraid) and he then left for work. THe dog stared at the door and wanted to know where he was going without him. I told him, "Don't worry, he'll be back."

Finally, the six year old got up. I brought him his clothes including a new shirt his aunt got for him. "I like my new shirt" he said. I got him new shoes and for the first time since school got out last spring, he is wearing socks. I found him a paint shirt, had him try on his new gym shoes (they fit) and put those in his backpack along with a bagel for a snack. I took his picture along with the dog. (I hope to post the pictures tonight when hubby gets home.) As we were leaving, the dog wanted to go with us so badly, but I told him to "Stay, I'll be back" and we left. He barked as we walked down the street, looking at us through the window.

We passed a neighbor who was getting into his car and we said "Hi" and my son added "Today is my first day of school. I am nervous but I'll be ok." The neighbor smiled and said, "Have a good first day of school." We both said "Thank you, you have a good day, too."

We make it to school and look for his line which we finally find. My son spots his best friend from last year, Lydia. She is wearing a red dress with a white shirt, white tights and black shoes. They are so happy to see each other and walk slowly to the playground. I can see them talking to each other. Finally the bell rings and they go stand in line and go in.

Walking home, I can hear our dog barking a block away. Once in the door, I hold my breath and hope he did not make a mess, he did'nt! I wonder how long it will take for him to get used to me walking my son to school every morning. I would take him with us but the school does not want dogs on the playground.

Now, my plan is to work on the house.....I miss everybody....the best part of my day is when they come back. Now I know how the dog feels.

4 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

I really like the last statement. We seldom think of how the dog feels.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Funny how much animal feel for us humans. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for my daughter's son. She's been upset because he may have some problems and is scared to find out. Hopefully things will work out for him.

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww poor doggie,lol. It is nice to know some places still start school after Labor Day.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger bettygram said...

Spanky will soon learn the times they leave and when they will return. I liked the pictures. I am glad they are enjoying school.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home