Lori's Minute

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Week So Far

This week has been a strange one. Hubby has been sick and is trying different medication but we do not know if he is having side effects or what. Daughter came down with an asthma attack-like symptoms further aggravated by when the dog escaped (we got him back). I had a parent teacher conference for the five year old and we are stll dicussing possible ADHD issues. I am torn because I think he is too young for medication especially if we do not know if he is just immature or if he really has it. We have been to the doctor(who wants to wait three months) and the teacher herself has three adult children who have ADD. I went on to say I want to read more about it but she cautioned me not to read too much into it because the books say things such as "most of the prison population is made up of ADD/ADHD."

What?????

I did learn some things from the books from the doctor which mentioned these kids usually do well one on one but once in a situation where there is a lot going on, then they act out. I always thought these types would be difficult at home as well but I guess that is not the case. I also learned the medication is like what glasses are to a person, it helps the person to focus.

There was some good news to report...he has improved since the beginning of the year and is doing really well in some areas such as knowing all the letters, upper and lower case and also knowing the sounds each make which she said will be great when he starts to learn to read. So, we continue on and do more research and do what we can to help him.

This week will end much like a soap opera....will Mimi have fun at the wedding dressed in chocolate and periwinkle and not break her ankle? What logo will make it in Dr. John's blog? Will the heat return to Quilldancer's classroom?

Tune in next time....

2 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just hang in there. Sometimes you have to use your instinct. And there is so much to learn. I wonder sometimes about my 4 year old grandson and if he might have a problem. He barely speaks and seems to be internalized. I always say a little prayer for him and hope it is nothing. Hope things improve for you.

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, we had heat in my clkassroom for about 2.5 hours ....

As to ADHD meds -- you and the doctor need to decide. Not the doctor and the teacher. The teacher is important, but she is the last consideration. Personality can also be playing into this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home