Lori's Minute

Friday, December 29, 2006

New Year's Eve-1992

It was December 31, 1992. I was living in a duplex with my roommate and her black lab, Coco. It was another typical weekend where my roommate left for a 2-3 hour trip to visit her fiance and I had the place to myself along with dogsitting (seems to be a common theme in my life). Actually, the dog was taking care of me.

I started the day with my usually routine of sleeping in, throwing on some clothes that I picked up off the floor, putting my hair back in a braid, and trying to put some eyeliner on since I never leave home without eyeliner.

It was blustery outside and I spent about ten minutes trying to scrape the ice off my car windows while the tears ran down my cheeks. I got in the car and looked in the mirror to see the eye liner was now running down my face. 'Oh, well, " I thought, "I never run into anyone I know" so off I went. Instead of getting a magazine or book to read like I usually do, I decided to stop and rent a movie. I pulled into the parking lot and noticed there was a tv crew there so when I went it, I went to the opposite side of where the crew was. Two minutes later as I was checking out the movies, I felt a tap on my shoulder and it was the tv guy wanting to interview me. I look around at the 20 other people who want to be on tv and suggest he interview them. He insists it will only take a moment and he will move on so I obliged. He asked me what my plans were for the evening and why I was renting a movie. Rather than say I did not have a date for New Year's Eve to the whole city(although I think it was obvious) I said I would rather stay home and avoid the people who are out partying and then driving.

He said thanks and moved on. I rented my movie, went and got some fast food at the drive thru and went home, totally forgetting about the interview. Sure enough, the next day, everyone at work saw the interview....ugh....face with eyeliner, no date for the night, etc.

But, luck would change because that very night, Jan 1, 1993, I had my blind date with my now husband....and all is right with the world.

Happy New Year everyone!

4 Comments:

At 5:57 AM, Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

This is a great story! I can tell you think so, too, since you posted it twice!

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Rachelle said...

Hi Lori,
That story hit home with me. I never go out now in my PJs. I used to "run the kids to school" in them, then one time I ran to the Post Office without shoes in late fall in my PJs and got locked out of my car.... for 5 hours..... when the temp hit 35 degrees
I was frozen, but worse was my poor daughter who had run out with me the same way. Thank heavens for the PO lady who gave us hot chocolate till the silly tow truck driver figured out how to get in the car. If you ever want a secure car- buy a Mitsubishi Outback!!!
Slainte~
Rachelle

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Happy New Year, Lori. May 2007 bring you and Peter the same kind of joy and wonder as 1992 did!

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Catch said...

Great story Lori!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home