Lori's Minute

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Eating at home

Man, this eating at home all the time in an effort to save money for a vacation by not eating out really STINKS! (Ok, how do you really feel about it, Lori?)

I am preparing food all day long and with the kids being home during the summer it is really keeping me on my toes not to mention away from my diet plan). I also am running the dishwasher daily (yes, I am lucky to have one so I do not have to do them by hand) not to mention we have run out of paper plates. (I am a huge fan of paper plates).

Let's not forget that I have been home this entire time....unable to get in the car and take the kids somewhere.

Alright, I am done complaining. Yesterday, I broke down and had HOH stop on his way home from his parents to pick up some fast food which I was really craving. He got it for me and the five year old but I made sloppy joes for him and my daughter. So, that is ten dollars that will not go into the vacation fund. (But it is ten dollars that will go in because HOH and daughter did not get fast food)_

Speaking of the vacation fund, I found my change jar (see photo) which I spent an hour decorating with the words 'Vacaton Fund' on it two years ago has a grand total of $18. 23! It would have been $18.33 but my son wanted ten pennies to play with so I let him have those. It had more but whenever someone needed change, this was the first place we went...but NO MORE! I still need to add this past weeks savings to this total. I hope to have a icon with our vacation totals on it soon.

Next I sat down and started working on how much it will cost and what we want to do....blah, blah, blah. I am going to compare, flying, taking the car, and the Amtrak. We could save a lot by driving but HOH does not see that as a vacation.

Now I will end with a comment by my son, the prince. Since Hubby and daughter(the king and the princess) were gone all day to the fortress, I was entertaining the prince all day...it was fun but by eight p.m. I was tired. So, after he did a dance and song for me he asked, "Mom, what part did you like the best?" I said, "Ohhhh, mom's tired.' and he said, "There is no part called 'mom's tired' !!!!

Well, there should be...

6 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

lol -- With wee ones in the house there's always a part where mom's tired!

Lori -- crock pot. And remember to get the crock pot liners -- get them in the grocery store on the same shelf where you find aluminum foil and plastic wrap. They are wonderful -- you pull them from the pot and the mess goes with ... then you just wipe the crock pot with a paer towel.

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Louisiana said...

the vacation piggy bank is nicely done. and don't worry, you are determined and will save all the money you need. a little treat here and there won't hurt and it will taste so good...

i'm sorry about the being at home always. that sucks too, doesn't it?

your little one sounds so darn cute, oh i mean the prince, lol...say hello to him from me.

hope your sunday goes well. hugs.

 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we eat at home I run the diswasher twice a day and fill up the trashcan faster and spend all my time in the kitchen. Depending on what you cook it is not always cheaper either. Sometimes I do not think it is worth it for me. Good luck with it! Quill is right about the crockpot!

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

Don't be too hard on yourself,just keep at it.
Thank you quilldancer. I have never heard of or saw the crock pot liners. That sure would help me.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I am going to stock up on those crock pot liners because the only reason I do not use my crock pot more often is because of the mess I have to clean up! Thanks everyone for the support, too!

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Neoma said...

haha, I am with you, eating at home all the time stinks.....I have cooked since I was 14, and that is a lot of meals, and I have about 43,800 to go.....then I am going to sit on the bench at the local hash house and eat with all the other old people who don't want to cook anymore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home