Lori's Minute

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Finally the last ten

Ok, we are down to the last ten items about me. I would consider these to be the most important to me.

10. When I was younger, I collected penquins, then I stopped and collected Coca Cola items because I liked the old fashioned pictures of the girls with the Cokes and now I like victorian angels and victorian santas. I think I was supposed to be born in the Victorian era but I would not have put up with all the nonsense that woman were not allowed to do.

9. One thing I really want to do (this will make some of you croak) is to swim with the dolphins at the Dolphin Research Center in the Florida Keys. They have a program for people with disabilities and they do not make the dolphins do anything they do not want to do especially when there are new mommy dolphins.

8. I would like to have an art show some day..

7. When we win the lottery, we would like to go around the country giving money to people anonymously(sp?). Wouldn't that be fun? We would also start a think tank type business to come up with cool inventions to help people.

6. If I had one wish, I would wish for the power to heal.

5. My proudest professional achievement was graduating from college. So many people told me I could not do it. The day I got my diploma, I felt I was getting a triple doctrate.

4. Proudest personal achievement (besides the family) is walking a marathon two years ago. I think about doing it again but it is a lot of training time away from the family.

3. I believe in miracles and that they happen every day, all the time, we just are not aware of it. It would not surprise me if I suddenly no longer had a vision or hearing condition. (Hey, I hit my head so often, it could trigger some blood vessels to unblock, and Voila!)

2. I would like to publish a book. I wrote a book for my daughters class in kindergarten called 'The Blind Lady who can See'. The teachers asked me to talk about my condition and the kids were always asking me questions so rather than standing up there and talking I wrote and illustrated a book to read to the class. As soon as it was done the teachers told me I should publish it. I figure since the recommendation came from a teacher, I should be able to do it. Then my son came along and I have not done anything about it yet.

1. Number 2 leads me to my proudest moment as a parent. I was reading the book I wrote to my daughter's class and near the end I started to get choked up. My daughter got up from where she was sitting and came over and stood by me and put her hand on my arm while I finished reading the book which ends as follows; "Even though there are so many things I cannot do such as drive a car or see the stars, I focus on the things I can do. I can still read and paint but the thing I like to see the most is the smile on my daughter's face. I think I am pretty lucky for a blind lady." She was only five years old and she was comforting her mother..KLEENEX PLEASE!!!

And all is right with the world.

10 Comments:

At 9:33 PM, Blogger Louisiana said...

our children are gifts straight from God, they are miracles, joys, treasures. it is often the time when they make it all better for us. i am deeply touched and happy that your daughter loves you as she does and i'm sure your son would argue he does as well. and why shouldn't they, you are a wonderful,loving mother, blind and hard of hearing maybe but your sight and listening are better than most. i love your dolphin idea...you will see why in a post coming up soon on my blog..i think you and hubby have wonderful hearts, to show your charity and love for others to be so generous when you become rich. i hope you do have an art show,i would go if could. i would also be first in line to buy your first publish book, so there start with the phone calls please. i collect turtles, have a few parrots and monkeys too...i too was often told and often thought myself i should have been born many decades ago. it was an apealing time in many ways but like you i wouldn't have put up with the right ways a woman ought to be..the day you find yourself healing, know that you will have a long lists and many grateful friends. thanks for sharing yourself with us. it's nice to know more about you. hugs.

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger B.R.L said...

I didn't know about the book. I think you shoud do something about it. There is a magazine call I believe " Writers" Which would give you places to contact to get it published. I want to read the book.

I pray regularly for your healing.

I have no idea how to set up an art show but there maybe artest in the area that do.

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger B.R.L said...

I didn't know about the book. I think you shoud do something about it. There is a magazine call I believe " Writers" Which would give you places to contact to get it published. I want to read the book.

I pray regularly for your healing.

I have no idea how to set up an art show but there maybe artest in the area that do.

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger B.R.L said...

I didn't know about the book. I think you shoud do something about it. There is a magazine call I believe " Writers" Which would give you places to contact to get it published. I want to read the book.

I pray regularly for your healing.

I have no idea how to set up an art show but there maybe artest in the area that do.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger B.R.L said...

I am writing this for the second time because of blogger.


I have not read your book and I would like to. I think you should get it published all my material is old but there is a magazine called"Writerw" you could get at Barns and Noble. It would have places to send your manuscript to. If they [the place you sent it to reject it send it to another place until you get a yes.

I pray for your healing regularly.

I have no information about art shows but there must be artest in the area who can give you help in this area.

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That book sounds wonderful! I bet you could get it published! Send it out and see what happens.
I want to swim with dolphins too! And way to got on graduating! I am so glad you did it, especially since some said you couldn't! WAY TO GO!

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

Kleenex please. My glasses have fogged up.

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

I am having a hard time writing comments today I was going to give my weight report but I couldn't get there. I will try here but I have already taken up a lot space with comments for this blog. I gained 1/2 lb

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Catch said...

I want to swim with the dolphins too! I think it would be so cool!!!

You are an amazing lady!

Now where are those kleenexes????

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger kristi said...

I do not think your swimming with the dolphins is crazy at all, dolphins are very interesting creatures. My son had the chance to swim with dolphins while in Mexico a couple of years ago. My grandfather also did but he had knee problems and the dolphins sensed that and did not play with him like all of the others

 

Post a Comment

<< Home