Lori's Minute

Saturday, May 13, 2006

My Mom

Since it is Mother's day I decided to not write about myself (almost did!) but about my mom.

Growing up I thought I always had the best mom. She was (and is ) the best mom in the whole world. I always felt she was born to be a mother. She never yelled and when she wanted us to do something and we were not responding, all she had to do was say, "I mean it" and my brother and I would do it.

Here she was, a woman who was meant to be a mom but she could not have kids so my brother and I were adopted. My brother was adopted the day JFK was assasinated and I came along two years later. I loved to hear the story of how the agency called my parents and told them to get a crib ready because there was a baby girl waiting for them. They got me at the hospital and put me in the back seat of the car laying down and made the trip to my mother's parents house to show me off.

Mom always let us make our own mistakes and learn from them. She also said there were always people worse off than us and it was not polite to gossip. Early on she realized I could not keep a secret and to this day, I am now forty, she still does not tell me anything!

One of the things I would like to do well that my mom does well is people could stop in anytime and she would whip up something to eat or drink. It was never a problem to invite a friend over without asking, she loved having our friends over.

I am always amazed when people who have been adopted do not feel like they are loved by their adopted family because I feel like I have the best mom in the world. She may think she was lucky to get two kids but I think my brother and I are the lucky ones.

Happy Mother's Day!

6 Comments:

At 6:21 AM, Blogger B.R.L said...

Happy Mother's Day. You do have a wonderful mon. She is a very nice gracious lady.

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Dr.John said...

What a nice tribute to your mother.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Catch said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Mother! I bet she feels lucky to have you for a daughter too!

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mom sounds great. I am sure your kids will have the same fond memories of you.

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Penelda said...

Wow I am speachless. What a tribute to your mother.

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Louisiana said...

Oh what a wonderful story Lori...i'm so happy you have a wonderful mom. She sounds like a dream. You are all so Blessed to have found each other. It was God's plan and He knew (again) what He was doing....

I hope you and your mom had a great day....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home