Lori's Minute

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A Family

Not too long ago, my father-in-law (Dr. John), asked me how I like the world of blogging. We were sitting at a restaurant in Crystal Falls waiting for our food and I was trying to think of the perfect answer. "I like it" did not seem to do it justice. I kept thinking and thinking and was speechless so I changed the subject and asked about model trains.

The truth is, I feel like a whole new world/life has opened up to me. For someone like me, a person who is legally blind and deaf, I do not get out much. Since I became a mother ten years ago, I have basically spent most of my time in one room, the family room with a gate to keep the baby safe (could not bear to put the kids in a play pen). I literally have to keep an eye on the child at all times. Sure I could go to the bathroom or run into th kitchen to make lunch and get snacks but basically, for the last ten years while my husband went to work, I was in the family room.

Most of my friends live out of town and are too busy with their own lives for a daily chit-chat. All my neighbors who have children all work and put their kids in daycare so I did not have social contact there either. Not driving makes it almost impossible to get out of the house.

So, in answer to Dr. John's question, my blog friends have been a wonderful addition to my life. (sniff, sniff, kleenex please). It is great because you can visit people daily and not worry if you are intruding on one's life. It is great because you care and worry about people you would never otherwise meet. It is great because you are exposed to ideas and customs that normally would not happen. It is great to vent, to share memories, offer advice or have a good belly laugh.

Yesterday I was in a panic because I could not get to my site and I was upset because I did not want to let my blog friends down.

What do I think of my blog world? It truly is a family. I love it!

Have a good one!

8 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Louisiana said...

Well you are definetely a wonderful addition to the 'blog' world...I love visiting you and reading how you are doing. I love knowing that their is someone in the States who is a loving mother, a happy wife and a wonderful family person...I'm glad for Dr. John and all the wonderful people who i have met through him, including himself, that make me smile every day.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger kristi said...

My blog first came about as a way to really stay in touch with Mimi. I havent seen her in almost a year. But since then I have ventured out and made new friends, especially you Lori, I love reading your blog. I think that everyones blog brings something different to the table and it makes it so irrestiable. I look foward to everyones blogs everyday.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Catch said...

I really didnt know much about blogging when I first started..but I love it. I have made so many new friends and enjoy hearing about thier lives... I feel like I am part of your family since I also know your motherinlaw and fatherinlaw ( and might I say you are such a lucky girl to have such great in laws!!!) heck Lori, Im still waiting for my piece of birthday cake!!! ;)) I read your blog everyday as I do your in laws. Your good people!!!! Huggs!

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Awwww....you guys are making me blush!!!!!

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

I agree It is so nice to meet all these people and there from all over the world and they feel like they are family[and six of them are]or neighbors.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Penelda said...

It is nice to be part of both of your families.

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger Dr.John said...

Glad I did something right. Glad that you have discovered how kind and caring bloggers can be, I hope our blog family will keep growing.
Grampa

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the exact same way Lori! Blogging is my only window to the world and I love it. I am always checking for comments and checking the blogs I read several times a day. And all of my blog buddies are special to me. Even though I don't know you (them) in person, I feel like I do. When hubby is on the computer or if its not working I go nuts. When I was in the hopsital I could not wait to catch up with blogging.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home