Lori's Minute

Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Bench



Every time I look at this bench, I think about what a horrible day it could have been. For years, I had been looking for a bench but none was quite what I wanted. They were either too expensive, did not have the storage space, were the wrong color or had spindles. I knew what I wanted and I finally found it at a bare wood store. As soon as I saw it, I knew I was going to get it. It was half the price of all the others I had seen and I also bought the stain right there in the same store.
We brought it home and it sat in our garage for a few weeks.

About two months later, my husband and daughter had gone to see my in-laws. My father-in-law was home from the hospital and there was a lot of machines with tubes so I stayed home with the baby who was now walking and into everything. He was about a year old.

That weekend was perfect weather for staining the bench in the garage. So, I put my son down for his usual nap at one, brought the monitor out to the garage and started to stain the bench. Around three o'clock I was almost done with my project. I only had ten minutes left when I heard my son stirring. I could have left him in the crib but I went and got him, put him in the stroller with the wheels locked, strapped him in and gave him a bagel and some juice.

We talked back and forth while I worked and he ate. Then, I wiped out the bottom of the bench, put the cover on the stain, looked at the stroller and it was EMPTY!

I panicked. I looked at the dog thinking he would have gone over to visit the dog, but she was lying there sleeping oblivious to what had happened. I looked all over the garage but I could not see him and there is a lot of dangerous stuff in our garage.

My son had never gotten out of the stroller before so I could not believe he got out and I did not hear him.

I looked up and down the street, but saw nothing. It just so happened my neighbor was out mowing his lawn so I decided I had to go ask him for help. Just as I went over to his house, here came my neighbor carrying my son. Apparently, he had gone over to see his two dogs. I breathed a huge sigh of relief and whispered, "Thank you, God" to which my son said "Your welcome!"

When I think about that one minute I did not look or talk to him and how fast he was gone and what could have happened, I am so grateful it turned out ok. So, whenever I look at the bench coming down the stairs, I think about how lucky I was that day.

Have a good one!

9 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I am surprised you didn't faint! That is the ultimate scare. It happens in my dreams all the time. I will be carrying Binker and then all of the sudden "poof" he is gone. Your little guy must be a hoodini! I am glad that it had a happy ending with the "your welcome" as a laugh! That little stinker! LOL!

The bench is awesome. Exactly what I would want if I had the room for one.

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogger is giving me grief which is why you have a deleted comment. It posted twice. And now you have 3! LOL!

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

REminds me of a Peter story that I think I will tell next week. It also reminds me of a picture that hung at my grandmother house. It was a picture of two kids standing at the edge of a clif and a guardian angel keeping them from falling.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Penelda said...

Wow reminds us to be greatful for every minute we have together.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Catch said...

OH Lori I bet you were so scared!!!! Thank the good Lord everything turned out ok.

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

Dr John said it reminded him of a Peter story and he would blog about it tomarrow, It reminded me of the same story. I think the Linnas have very good guardian angels.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Louisiana said...

I'm so glad it all turned out good at the end. I can see how that bench (which, by the way it is so beautiful) is a huge reminder of what a scary day that was.

Have a wonderful Mother's Day. I hope your day is a very happy one.

Take care.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger kristi said...

The bench is beautiful, even if you had to momentarily lose a child over it. I think at some point or another all of us parents have lost or misplaced a child. My son walked away from me at the beach, after a 5 minute walk we finally found him, he was 5 at the time. He doesnt go very far to this day

 

Post a Comment

<< Home