Lori's Minute

Monday, April 17, 2006

Laugh at death

Yesterday at church for Easter, the sermon was about 'laughing at death' so as I sit here I recall how my mom and I had a good laugh yesterday at her house. One of those laughs where you cannot even finish speaking a sentence because you are laughing so hard it makes it even funnier. Then I told the story to Pete in the car on the way home and he laughed a good hearty laugh that I have not heard in awhile. Here is the story...

I was helping my mom in the kitchen after dinner while Pete and the kids were playing Battleship ('You sunk my battleship!'). She was telling me I had some art stuff in the basement in a big box so she went and got it and brought it upstairs. I looked at the box and it was a vaccum cleaner box from when I bought my first vacuum for my first apartment something like 20 years ago.

Mom said, "Remember it only worked backwards?" (I am already chuckling). Then I recalled, "Oh yeah! It would shut off when I pushed it forward, but came on when I pulled it back! So, to keep it going, I would walking backwards continously, like one would mow a lawn only I had to walk backwards the whole time!

It was a good thing I did not have much carpet.

I was so silly and the worst part was I bought it brand new and should have taken it back but back then I was too afraid to return items.

THis may not be all that funny to you but to us, it was good to get a good laugh.

Family Update: We had a nice Easter weekend. I did some spring cleaning, Sunday the kids were up at seven and found all the eggs in about ten minutes. We went to church for the "Laugh at death" sermon then over to my mom's house for brunch. Back home, Pennie stopped in and shared with us the weekend she had in Crystal Falls.
This morning the four year old is not feeling well so I better go check in on him.

Have a good one!

5 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger B.R.L said...

I laughed at the story. I pictured the cleaning process. I still don't like retuning things. Such as buying a vacumn when you don't have rugs as I did in Trout Creek.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

I thought you were supposed to vacumn backwards so you could see what you had cleaned.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger kristi said...

Glad to hear that you had a good Easter. I thought your story was funny too, sometimes the switch goes on my vacuum and I have to tape it to make it work rather than fool with taking it apart everytime. So I feel for you in that department!!!!!!

 
At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the little one is feeling better soon!

The vacuum is a good laugh! I used to be nervous to return stuff too! It is funny to remember things when you first move on your own. I used a potato peeler as a screwdriver!

I am gload you had a good Easter!

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Louisiana said...

I hope your son will be doing better in no time. It's most scary and sad to see them down.

Your Easter sounds lovely and i'm happy for you all.

It's great to have stories that when come up bring joy to the heart. I'm glad you had a 'belly laugh', they do us good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home