Lori's Minute

Friday, April 21, 2006

Do not read if...

Do not read this if you are one of those people who do not like to read about mothers and their problems. (EXIT NOW....run for your lives! Come back another day!)

I have been waiting all week for something good or funny to write but I am comsumed with the reality I am a failure as a mother.

My four year old is not doing well in school (not listening, disrespecting the teachers, etc). The thing is, when it is just the family, he is fine. Anyway, since I am legally blind and mostly deaf, I am not able to do much but the one thing I thought I was doing fairly well was being a mom. Now,I am not so sure and it is bringing me down, I am eating all the time and I cannot seem to snap out of it.

Today, after another poor review from the teacher, I came home and called his father to come home for lunch and talk to the son who had been sent to his room. Dad came home and went up to talk to him, came back down and said he thought he got through to him but we won't really know until after school on Monday. We really thought he was going to have a good day today after our last talk and he lost some privilidges.

We know we have to crack down on both kids and being consistent so we have both decided not to let that go anymore. The problem is I grew up afraid of my dad and I do not want my kids to be afraid. I need to find a common ground where I can be firm and hold my ground but not have them be afraid.

The other thing is I do not believe the school has full control over the class so I am thinking if things do not go well Monday, I will keep him home from then on since there is only a month left of school. I have talked to the kindergarten teacher at the new school he would be going to in the fall and he has orientation May 4th so she will let me know what she thinks when she sees him. How do you get a kid to learn social skills if not at school?

I just needed to get this off my chest so I can re-energize and start thinking positive things again. Normally I do not let my disability get me this down, but I do feel if I had my sight and could drive we could have him in more social situations or we could have put him in a different preschool, one that has more firm rules etc.

Thanks for listening.

Family Update: You know most of it already! Dad and daughter are going to the Blizzard (indoor football) game tonight. I got an e-mail from my brother-in-law saying he is bringing the boys the weekend of the 29th so we are planning a water park day along with a train show with the grandparents from Crystal Falls (if they can make it).

Hopefully, I will have more interesting blogs in the next few days.

6 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, this blog is for and about you. So do not feel bad or think that it is not interesting! I like your blog and I like that us mommys can help one another!

As far as the socialization, could you maybe take him to a kids gymboree type thing. That could help a bit. I started my son in it cause he is never around other kids. When he is he just wants to watch them cause he is not used to them being around. I am sure by the end of his gym class (where they play, gym is not the right name,lol) he will be a bit more social.I hope! LOL

As far as his paying attention/learning, sometimes I think kids do not take their parents seriously for that stuff. It is nothing the parent does wrong. I think it happens just cause they are so used to their parents. Maybe you could get a outside tutor or take him to a learning center.Plus hopefully once he is around other kids that are doing those things he will follow suit. Plus the kid is only 4. It is hard for them to understand sometimes that everything is not all fun and games. And things are changing so fast. When I was a kid we did not go to preschool. We learned to read in 1st grade. Now they are reading in preschool. Things are going at a much faster pace for our little ones now!

I hope this improves for you soon. Do not feel bad about it at all. Don't be hard on yourself! Its a normal thing that all parents go through at one time or another. And it does not reflect on your parenting! I hope this helps a tad!

Have a great weekend! If you get some sunshine enjoy it for me, cause I will be in the rain, once again!

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

O don't care what the teacher says he's a great kid.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

You are a great mom it is just that children are individuals and what works with one does not work with another. Both you and Pete are working on helping the little one.He does behave when we are there but we are adults not another child.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You are a great mom. You sure are I do understand how you feel hearing a other adult say your kid is not where we would like him to be just puts the dander up you start to second guess what your doing what ever. From all the times I have been around you guys I think your doing a great job. Both your kids are very smart kids and great to be around. I think luke will get it soon.

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger kristi said...

First and formost, Do not blame yourself for anything. I have found that nothing gets accomplished that way. I have to agree with Mimi, this is what your blog is here for, just take a look at mine.
First off I would not fret over what is happening in preschool. Kindergarten is the real deal, you also have to think he is 4 and that sometimes 4 year olds get a little rowdy. Its only human nature. Kids can learn social skills very easily in the real world, although I am sure that is not his problem. Just take him somewhere as simple as a fast food place with a play place and let him go at it. My kids always make friends instantly when there. Go to the library to teach him to respect rules like being curteous and quiet. I take my 3 year old in the library I was afraid at first but they have an awesome kids section and he gets a little crazy sometimes but no one seems to mind and he is getting the gist of it. There are tons of other things.
Don't beat yourself up, you are a good mom in fact you are the best mom in the world to your kids.
Don't let some preschool teacher get you down, she probably doesnt even have kids of her own, and if she thinks that 4 year olds have to listen all of the time then she is way off course

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger eatsleepbhangra said...

its probably just a phase, we all go through it..you know..hormonal imbalances.. it'll blow over.. especially try to introduce the fact that school is important..that might help :).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home