Lori's Minute

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Before how we met

Before we get to the day we met, we have to go back a few months to the fall of '92. I was living with a girl who had a fiance who lived out of town so she was gone every weekend leaving me with her black lab, Coco. I loved this dog as my own. She was a great dog because she knew I could not see well and whenever I walked into a room, she would wag her tail which thumped on the floor so loud I could hear where she was and not step on her. She also barked loud when people showed up at the door unannounced.

I had pretty much had the conversation with God about having a special someone in my life and putting it in His hands because I did not want to think about it for awhile. I decided I was going to enjoy what He had given me so far. Meanwhile, at my mother's house for a visit, she told me about this guy my brother worked with, Pete. I had heard about Pete for two years but never met him which was unusual because he had been to the house several times to eat her famous chili with my brother on their lunch hour.

Mom started telling me what a nice 'fellow' this guy is. My answer to everything she was a typical response from a daughter who did not want to be set up by her mother.

"He just bought a car"
"Yeah, good for him"
"He just bought a house."
"Cool."
"He goes to our church."
"That's nice."

Fast forward a couple months later to New Year's Eve day. I spent this weekend like I spent most weekends, sleeping late, getting up and dressed to go rent a movie, drive thru a fast food place and then back home to take a nap while Coco tried to find a place on the floor amongst all my junk to lie down and protect me from any would be attackers.

Since I never leave the house without eyeliner, I quick put some on, a good winter coat and off I went to scrape the ice off my windshield. The wind was blowing so hard it caused my eyes to water and the eyeliner to run, but I did not care since I was not going to see anyone I knew. I never run into peoplt I know.

I get to the movie rental place and there is a news truck there but I do not worry because there is no way I will be interviewed looking the way I do so I head on in and go to the opposite side of the store away from the news team.

Two minutes later there is a tap on my shoulder and it is the news guy and he wants my opinion. I want to say "Go away and leave me alone!" but instead I look around and see twenty people who would love to be on tv and I say, "Wouldn't you rather interview someone else?" He says, "No, this will only take a minute and you probably won't even be on." I say "Ok" and he ask what my plans are for the night and I tell him my pathetic plans on watching a movie at my house and how I do not like to go out on New Years Eve because of all the crazy people driving who have been drinking. (Another way of saying I do not have a date and I am a LOSER!)

I don't bother watching the news that night but of course, at work the next day, everybody and their mother saw me. Who watches the news on New Year's Eve?

This is getting too long so I will post the rest tomorrow but I will say that I meet my husband-to-be the very next night!

Family Update: We ate easter cookies.

Have a good one!

3 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Blogger B.R.L said...

Oh I like that story can't wait for the rest. I have a new screan more on my blog. Cookies should be eaten

 
At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only time you ever run into anyone is when you look bad! LOL! Just like no one comes by your house except for when it is a disaster! That always happens to me! LOL!

Anyway, this is a good story, looking forward to the rest!

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger Dr.John said...

You didm't happen to send the grandfather a cookie care package did you? Just checking.Say did you ever meet this Pete?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home