Lori's Minute

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Always a Daughter

My mom is one of those great mothers a kid can always count on. In high school until now, I could always bring someone home without calling and have them stay for dinner and she would be fine with it. I could ask her to hem my pants the morning I needed them and she would do it. If I needed something typed, she would stay up late the night before it was due and type it (without trying to re write it).

Last week I asked her if she would make cookies for my neighborhood Christmas party and she said she would even though I know these cookies are a pain to make. The day of the party arrives and we travel across town to pick up the cookies. She has made twice what I was expecting and they look better than I remember. She had them in a nice oblong pan with tinfoil covering the top.

She brought them out to me and would not give them to me until she gave me instructions.

"Now, Lori" (I can always tell she is serious when she starts out saying "Now".

"Now, Lori, you have to carry this flat on your lap in the car."

I look at her and say, "Mom, I am in my forties, what did you think I was going to do...carry them under my armpit like a newspaper?"

"I know, I am just telling you because I do not want you damage them."

So, I make a big deal about carrying them out to the car, asking hubby to remove the small blades of grass on the sidewalk so I do not trip and so on. We get in the car and halfway home, we go over a speed bump and I panic, but the cookies are safe.

We make it home and I put them on a linen napkin....no paper plates for these cookies!

Anyway, they went well, we had some left over for us, and I am really happy I could ask my mom to make the cookies.

Family Update: Pete had off yesterday for another medical test and we spent the rest of the day Christmas shopping. We only have his brother left to shop for. We had a rude experience with a clerk which I will tell about later this week. After we picked up the kids, I took my daughter shopping and hubby took our son...so we are done! Now, I get to do all the wrapping.

Have a good one!

7 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, Blogger Catch said...

Your Mother is very kind indeed....Im not sure I would have made the cookies for my daughter! lol, but I detest baking cookies and maybe she enjoys it. I know I would never get my daughters pants hemmed the same day she asked....probably not even in the same year! lol...now if anymore of those delicious cookies are left how about shipping them of to me??? lol

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

Yes. I was happy that my mother for all those years of our open houses would be willing to bake all those cookies. Even though I have all thoses recipies of hers mine do not turn out as good as hers. She also was willing to do the last minute requests. Both of our moms were or are church secretaries is that the secret?

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Done! Aren't you lucky!

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

Poor grandma Mallmann made cookies all those years and she made good ones. I hate rude clerks they are so annoying. Of xourse your father -in-law could eat a cookie or two of the leftovers.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You are very lucky to have a Mother like that. My Mother died before before I was married and had kids. My Dad always said she was cheated out of some things. Treasure your Mother.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Louisiana said...

how i wish that under that beautiful tree, there be a box of unending health for all of you.
God Bless you and yours. Merry Christmas to someone who is so dear to me. XO

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger starbender said...

Yum! I luv Christmas Cookies, ...and Your Mother!!!
How Great is She? I won't even tell you what my mother would say if I ask'd her to make Christmas Cookies for me...... It wouldn't be pretty.

I hope U have a Wonderful Christmas and an even Better New Years!

: )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home