Lori's Minute

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Baby's First Christmas

My in-law were here recently and we were looking through the ads. There are a lot of artificial christmas trees available in all colors and sizes. I asked my mother-in-law if I ever told her what happened at my daughter's first christmas. She did not remember so I told her.

My daughter was six months old and I was dead tired from sleep deprivation. Hubby was working mandatory overtime and our dog was a little schizo from being cooped up all the time. The baby would only nurse a few minutes at a time and then fall asleep. Sometimes, she would fall asleep after taking only a few drinks and then her head would fall back and the milk would run out the side of her mouth and down her chin.

So a week before Christmas someone asked where our tree was and we said we were not going to put one up because we would be at my mother's Christmas Eve and then my in-laws on Christmas day. Our friend said, "What? Her first Christmas and you are not putting up a tree?"

So, hubby goes down to the basement and brings up the aritificial tree and puts lights on it. I had picked up an ornament with a dalmation it it. (Dalmations was all the rage and her room was done with it). So there was our tree with lights and one ornament.

The day after Christmas I removed the ornament and put it in the baby keepsake box, grabbed the tree, dragged it to the stairs which lead to the basement and threw the tree down the stairs where it lay at the bottom.

There, taking down the Christmas decorations was done.

I always thought this was a funny story but my mother in law asked why I did it and I thought about it and realized how out of it I was then.

With all the news about new mothers and post partum depression, I guess I had a part of it as well. Unable to sleep because I thought if I slept for any length of time, the baby would stop breathing or something horrible would happen.

Looking back, I wish I would have asked for help. Maybe my telling this story will help others it is ok to ask for help.

8 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Blogger Louisiana said...

i understand and admire your wish to help other moms..it is often hard to ask for help and look vulnerable. whether it is post-partum or not.

XOXO

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Janets Planet said...

Our first Christmas in Mobile Alabama we were going to get a tree on Christmas eve and put it up. Lo and behold, all the trees were gone or overpriced. So we made a paper tree to put on the wall. The kids didnt mind at all.

 
At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha,ha,ha..Glad you didn't get help. That was a great story and has given me an idea for my tree after Christmas, ha,ha..

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Lori, sometimes we don't know what is wrong with us -- or that anything is wrong with us -- until we look back.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Catch said...

Lori, that is a funny story and just what I feel like doing to my tree every year and I dont have the blues...lol Thank goodness you didnt mention this to Tom Cruise!!!! Happy Thanksgiving Lori to you and the family!

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is funny how we all know we should ask for help. But when we are in the situation ourselves we don't.

Last year was Binkers first Christmas and we only put up a mini tree on the kitchen table. We did not want him pulling down or tearing apart a regular one. I think what you did was totally fine having a little one.

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger B.R.L said...

I think Mimi was right it was just the correct thing to do for that Christmas. I is a funny story now.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Gunngirl said...

I think a six month old is not going to say years later, ' I remeber when I was six months and you didn't put up a tree, that's why I'm in therapy!' You did the right thing.

I think the new baby, the holidays and a bit of guilt at that question got to you and I see why you just tossed the tree down the stairs.

PPD is serious and if I ever have kids I hope I don't get it, I can only imagine having a baby, getting no sleep and doing it all on your own. Sheesh!

Have a great holiday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home