Lori's Minute

Saturday, November 04, 2006

A Dream Comes True...or does it?

Ok, we have been following the week long honeymoon trip in the northeast from thirteen years ago. We stayed at three bed and breakfast inns in New Hampshire, Vermont and Conneticut. We are now heading to Mass. to stay in the last B&B and while we are there, plan to fulfill a lifelong dream of whalewatching (my dream, not hubby's).

So, we arrive at the B&B and it does not look like much from the outside. It is hidden in the shadows of overgrown trees and bushes yet it is on a busy street. The driveway and parking area are gravel. There is barely enough room for three or four cars.

Walking into the house, we enter a very dark library. A room full of dusty books....great for a B&B but not for honeymooners. We are greeted by an older woman and man (late 50's) yet we sense they are not a married couple. They give us directions to our room which is on the third and top floor of the house. The stairs are steep and narrow where I think I actually may be claustaphobic(sp?). We get up to our floor and there are only two doors, one on the left and one on the right. Ours is on the right so we open it and walk in. The room is amazing! There is a canopy bed to the right and a sitting area to the left with a small table with two chairs and wine glasses. The best part is the view...it overlooks the cape and you can see the lighthouse. There is also a nice (meaning remodeled) bathroom which has two robes hanging on a hook.

We are ecstatic. We then decide to go whale watching which is within walking distance of the house but of course, we take the car. We buy our tickets and get on the boat. It is one of those double decker boats where you can sit underneath or on top in the open air so we choose up on top even though it is a little cold. But that's ok, because we will sit close to each other and keep warm, we are honeymooners.

We start on our voyage and I am excited because the guide says we are guaranteed to see whales today. I am envisioning hubby having to hold on to me so I do not jump overboard to swim with the giant creatures of the sea. We move out of the bay and into the ocean. The sun is shining on our faces and it is very windy. I notice the guide talking a lot on her radio to other boats in the area. After a lot of searching and looking and wondering what is going on, the guide says we are heading back to dock. There is a storm coming and we have to get back before it hits. Now the boat is running at full speed and the waves are so choppy every time the boats comes down on the water, there is a loud CRACK and I feel my spine readjusting. I look at the old woman next to us and she is just sitting there with her eyes closed. She is a nun and I am wondering if she is praying, or heaven forbid, dead? I elbow hubby and ask him what he thinks but he assures me she is just enjoying the ride. I am still not sure she ever got off the boat.

We finally make it back and we are given coupons for a free whale watching ride another day. It is only the second time all year (this was October) they had to refund the tickets because there were no whale sightings.

Another thing that did not plan out right but we laughed it off, we were honeymooners and happy and nothing was going to get in our way, not even a dead nun.

Back at the B&B we put on our matching robes and sat at the little table with our wine glasses filled with Coca Cola and watched the sunset behind the lighthouse. Of all the B&B's, I would like to go back to this one even though the breafast was unusual. (Why can't they just serve eggs, bacon and toast at these places? Nope, at this one it was eggs with some kind of seafood in it and I am not sure what was in the potatoes. After we left there we went to McDonalds).

Now it is thirteen years later, but my heart still beats faster when I am with my hubby.

17 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Dr.John said...

Boy if Peter went whale watching he must really love you.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Here I was feeling all warm and romantic - -then I read Dr. John's comment and cracked up. Back to the real world. I hope you get to go back and that the B&B is just the way you rmember it.

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've really enjoyed these stories. Even though things don't always work out they seem perfect..

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Catch said...

Oh you are the lucky one Laurie Linna, having a hubby that makes your heart beat fast still after 13 years together! What a blessing!

But I have to set you straight on something......the bed and breakfast couple being in their late 50's does not mean elderly.....lol...I am 58 and no where near being elderly....I told you all in one of my posts that the 50s are the new 40's so , we people in our 50s are now middle aged! ; )) You will understand when you get to your 50s Lori and still like a young girl. When I read elderly and late 50's I almost swallowed my gun!!!! LMAO

I have enjoyed these honeymoon posts, will their be more?

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

I have enjoyed reading about your honeymoon.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Louisiana said...

you are absolutely beautiful! i just admire you from the pics of Sunday that are posted in the Dr. John's sisters blog..and i am so happy to have seen those twinkling eyes and that oh so beautiful smile..

i loved seeing what Sunday looked like..we were all together in Spirit.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Jan said...

I agree, 50's ain't old! So glad to hear you're still happy after all these years.

I stopped by because Dr. John sent me, but I am glad I came.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

What a lovely story.. remembering your honeymoon must really bring back some warm memories..

Marathoning with Dr. John!

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Tina Dray said...

wow it sounds like a great honeymoon. Its nice to know that there are other couples out there that are still happy if not happier after more than ten years together!
Dr John asked me to pop by!

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

A visit to NH!! Oh I'm so jealous! Our family is speckled all over there and we were hoping to sneak up for a Thanksgiving get away this year.

Looks like it will have to be next year.

-Margie
(Stopping by via Dr. John's mini-marathon today.)

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Hi Lori

I enjlyed reading your story.

Dr John has asked me to come visit and say hello.

Have a Blessed Day

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

I am on the Dr John marathon so saying a quick hi

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like a wonderful time and a happy memory. Did you ever get to see whales?
Here from Dr. John's marathon.

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dropping in from Dr. Johns.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

Just visiting Dr. John's beautiful family!

What a lovely honeymoon reminiscence. We stayed at a B&B in ME, when I was pregnant with my first. We went back, many years later - they had remodeled and turned the lovely old house with a wraparound porch into condos :-( I hope yours is still there to go back to! But they can't take our memories away! :-)

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Bazza said...

It wasn't until I got to the last line that I realised you were talking about past events. I thought you were recreating your honeymoon of 13 years ago, now there's a thought. Dr John sent me.

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger Jerry Bowley said...

There's nothing quite like whale watching, is there? Chana and I have done it twice now, but the first time was the best because we were in a smaller boat and literally only about 6 feet from the creatures!

Dr. John sent me by to relive a great summer memory...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home