Lori's Minute

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Who are you and what did you do with my husband?

We are all dealing with the loss of our dog and trying to figure out what to do next. Hubby said people at work who have gone through it all have done different things. Some waited before getting another dog, some got one right away and others tried to wait but ended up getting one sooner rather than later. I think this is the catergory we will fall into.

Last night while we went to a buffet place for dinner, I went to get my food first. When I sat down, hubby got up to get his and my daughter said, 'Mom, you are not going to believe this but dad is actually thinking of a cat!"(She has always wanted a cat and I said she can get one when she gets her own place).

'What? No way!!" (I still talk as though I am in highschool although I am 40)

"Yes, way!"

I decide to wait to talk to him when the daughter is not around but then hubby comes back and says, 'What do you think about a cat?"

I am speechless because this is the guy who said we are NEVER getting a cat (a bad childhood memory is the source of this statement).

I finally muster my thoughts and say that I have never met a cat I liked and he said the same thing but we admit we do not know much about them.

I still would rather get a dog because I like the fact they are always happy to see you and always available for a hug (not to mention getting rid of leftovers or food that falls on the floor). They are more work but worth it and the kind of pet we are looking for our family. (Getting a fish also came up but I don't hug fish and the five year old suggested 'a giant worm').

I hope my hubby comes back soon because I am afraid of what this guy will say next such as, "Let's go antique shopping or stop for a latte".

10 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger B.R.L said...

Who stoll my son! A cat. It is not my choice but yours.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

I'm responsible for his problem with cats. Stick with dogs.

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a dog person my vote is for a dog!

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Louisiana said...

oh hon, i am so sorry that you or Bree or is it Brea? lost her dog...she saids it was hers really :) ..

i know how close you all were to him...kisses and hugs..

and did i read right, you went to dinner? so your no restaurant thing is done? oh my, i have much to read for it seems i have missed on a post or two, lol..

hugs. sweet dreams tonight...and i wouldn't get a worm either..

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

I have two cats whom I adore -- and they love me. They come for cuddles and hugs. Christmas expecially will coem if I sing. I believe she thinks I am happy and purring. They sleep with me and they are always waiting at the door when I come home.

That said, cats are very "one person" oriented. They pick their person and as far as they are concerned everyone else in the house is a nuisance. I don't believe cats make good family pets. When we had our family we had a dog -- they love everybody all the time, unconditionally.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger kristi said...

cats are such pissy animals. I have 2 and they randomly like me. They hate to be touched or petted. I would rather them run away at this point.

Stick with a dog...you already know what they are like and they are so forgiving and compassionate unlike cats

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Catch said...

I have both! lol.

 
At 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Lori, new to your blog, but looking forward to reading more. We had to put down our 13 yr. old cat, Samson, in March of this year, so I understand grieving your family pet. I'd suggest checking out the magazine Cat Fancy, and all the different breeds before buying. Samson was a Burmese and even though he was close w/me, he loved to cuddle with everyone in our family. Burmese have the reputation for being a dog in a cat's body, so to speak. We haven't gotten another, yet, but I'm also checking into Tonkinese cats, who are said to be very family-oriented, as well. Dog or cat, good luck with your search!

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Bazza said...

When i first met my wife she had 2 cats, when I moved in we got another. One day another one moved in, and one day one moved out never to be seen again. another day the one that moved in, moved out, then another one moved in, He's still with us. If you want stability, get a dog, if you want chaos, get a cat.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Janets Planet said...

Hmmm I am surprised he doesnt like lattes. After all, most scandinavian food is bland and white. Lots of milk in coffee sounds perfectly logical. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home