Lori's Minute

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Energy Crunch

Remember the energy crises in the '70's? I was a kid but we were taught to turn off the lights when we left the room, same for the tv, radio, etc. Now I have a family of my own and am the one who pays the bills. Our electric bill is unreal so we are trying to cut down on our electrical use. I have been turning off my computer and only using it once a day rather than checking it periodically throughout the day and then leaving it on all night. Pete and the kids have been doing the same with their computers as well. I know it does not sound like much, but I am hoping that 30 days of three computers not running 24/7 will help somewhat even if it is only ten dollars at least it is a start. We already use energy efficient appliances and light bulbs. So, once we get our next bill, I'll let you know if our experiment worked.

Family Update: We have had a fun past couple of days. I have been painting images on cardboard for Vacation Bible school and after I finished I let the kids paint an extra box I had. They had so much fun and it kept them busy for a couple of hours!!! (It was a very large box and they did all sides). We also went and looked at a duplex and scheduled another showing so my sister-in-law can see it even if she does not like it, she can compare it to others. I was happy because I thought both sides had a sunken living room but only one side does. But, I am not the one looking.

Then yesterday, the kids and I walked a mile and a half to the McDonalds. I like to have the breakfast and they like lunch so we got there just as breakfast was ending and lunch was starting. The kids played very well with the other kids and the ten year old saw four kids who were in kindergarten at her school last year. They all knew her because she helped out in class at recess.

Today, my four now five year old had kindergarten camp at the school he will be attending in the fall. He has it three days this week so I used the time to spend time with my daughter who will be gone all next week. She wanted to play Scrabble so we did and she beat me! She has really improved since the last time we played.

I also went on five mile walks with my friend but we are taking today off. I am kinda glad because my legs are tired today!

Thanks to all who responded to my last post and have a good one!

7 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

Your daughter always beats me at sc ab ble.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Louisiana said...

i just installed a new heater, water tank and i can already see the difference in the bills...in the other hand i changed the lightbulbs to the energy efficient 2 yrs and i haven't seen any difference there...it gets pretty expensive here too. and about to get a million times worse since they are de-regulating gas and the prices are expected to go through the roof and they are incredible already...it's getting scary here in the fall...

you must have beautiful legs with all that walking...i love walking too.

i love playing Scrabble and as you can see from my writting hardly ever win...but love it none the less...

have a wonderful day and take care.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

I am glad you had a fun time at VBS. Playing scrabble with your oldest will be scary for me. I am waiting to hear about the house showings.

On the question about weight. Oh boy biggest gainer this week with 1 1/2 lbs. I celebrated a friends 83 birthday and had a hot hamburger, its like a hot beef but it had 1/2 lbs of hamburger.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Catch said...

you walked 5 miles? thats great Lori! I love playing scrabble...I play it online all the time at yahoo games.

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am guilty of leaving lights etc on and so is hubby. Only because the Navy charges us a flat fee to live here in Navy housing(which is a pretty high fee because the cost of living here is so high) we do not pay any utilities. So we kind of have the attitude that we need to get our moneys worth. But sometimes I feel guilty cause I see on the news how it effects the world.

I love McDonalds breakfast too! I love their pancakes. They are better than sit down restaurants in my opinion. And I LOVE hashbrowns!

I am gonna start playing Scrabble on line with Catch when I get back from mom's. She is gonna kick my butt! I have not played in years!

All that walking is so great! Aside from the health benefits it can be really empowering! Good for you! Keep it up!:)

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger kristi said...

I love Scrabble, I always play really good words but my husband is a strategic player, he racks up the points with very small words.

I understand what you mean about the eletric bill. Mine was outrageous this month, I wish I could just turn my AC off but it is way too hot here to do that...its been running since March.

I need to start walking really bad...I wish I had someone like you around me that had the motivation to walk. That is what I need a motivated friend. My husband is a runner and he does all of these races and half marathons. I would love to be able to walk them

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Louisiana said...

Lori, i just read your comment to Dr. John's blog..oh thank you for the laugh honey..

again i say the same thing..you are a hoot, hillarious, funny, great to be around...i love that you send a cactus...i gotta to use that one..i love it...

a couple of valentine's ago, i was @ Safeway florists and the lady wanted to know why i wanted a wood roses bouquet, instead of real flowers. they had wood tulips, roses etc..but they were being used to add a certain something to a real bouquet. but Joe always complained of getting real flowers..something about them dying was the excuse so i gave him flowers that looks stunning and wouldn't die..she thought i was mad at him because she had once had to do a bouquet for a lady who had caught him with another. the roses were dead, ordered that way and black...with a most interesting note attached...yikes..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home