Lori's Minute

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Mt. Rushmore

The first day we got up and headed to Mt. Rushmore since that is why we were there in the first place. We took Iron Mountain HWY which is the one that is very curvy and you can see Mt. Rushmore through the tunnels as you go through them. It took at least a half hour on this road before we reached the monument.

We parked and got out to look at the Presidents, took pictures. I tried to stare at it for awhile to sear the picture in my brain but everyone else wanted to go, others were telling me to move, etc. so we left.

From there we went to Hill City where we took an 1880's train to another city. Before we boarded we had about an hour to kill so we ate lunch outside on the picnic table. It was a perfect, sunny day. I did feel like I should be wearing clothes like in "Little House on the Prairie." The ride was an hour there and an hour back. We spent a lot of time in the gift shop...too much time.

Then we took the Needles Highway back which is another curvy road with giant rock formations...beautiful. There were a couple tunnels where the car barely fit through it was so tight. I admit I got a little nauseous with the curvy roads.

The last thing we did was go through a wildlife loop through Custer Park. It was an hour drive through but we did not see much and I think by then we were all tired. We did see some cute prairie dogs and a donkey licking somebody's car window. Don't see that every day!

We went back to the hotel for a swim and then to bed. Tomorrow I will talk about the second day in South Dakota.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home