Lori's Minute

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Three questions

The other night when I went to bed my son was still awake and it was later than usual. I asked him, "Are you STILL awake?"

"Mom, I have three questions to ask you."

"Ok" I answered as I sat next to him on the bed thinking he was going to ask me which robot of his I liked better and why.

"Am I going to live a long time?" he asked quietly.

"Oh,yeah, I am pretty sure you are going to live a very long time."

"Does...does....is ....is it going to hurt when I die?" he said tearing up a little and barely getting the words out.

"Well, here is what I know. " I said hoping I would say the right thing and why doesn't he ever ask his father these questions????? " I know God loves us and he will take care of us when we die just like he watches over us when we are here on earth."

"Mom, is the earth going to be here for a long time yet?"

"I think so since it has already been around since the dinosaurs and they were here 250 million years ago." (Thank you 'Who wants to be a Millionaire?' for that trivia bit). "So, I think it is going to be around a long time yet and God is in charge of that, too."

Then I held him and told him I understood because I use to think about those things when I was his age but as I got older, I realized God loves us and takes care of us. I do not know if it was the right answer or not but he did go to sleep after that.

Sometimes I think the reason we have kids is so we can learn from them rather than the other way around.

5 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

Good answers and good questions.

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Dr. John said. Kids ask the big, deep questions. I remember being that age and being afraid of the same things.

I am so glad you took your son's questions seriously and didn't just tell him not to worry. That's what I was told, and it only made me more fearful.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger bettygram said...

Good answers to question we don't have the answers to.

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gave good answers. And I think you are right. In some ways we learn more from kids than the owrld will teach us, and more than they will learn from us too.

Happy Easter!

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Louisiana said...

i think you hit the nail on the head right on..


Happy Easter my sweet.xo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home