Lori's Minute

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Seven Year Itch

Yep, it has come to the point where I can't stand it anymore and I have to do something about it. We have been in this house for seven years and I am finally going to do a full cleaning. I'm starting with the kitchen. Sure, I've done a cupboard here, a shelf in the fridge when something spilled on it and we can no longer get an item out because it is permanently stuck, washed the floor when I could. But, it is time for a full cleaning.

I would call it a spring cleaning as it is known it most parts of the country, but around here, spring ain't ever gonna show up, Brett Favre still hasn't announced whether he is coming back or not, and even though the stores have racks of spring clothes available I figure those are only for people going south for spring vacation.

Today I started with the fridge and I have to admit, it was not as bad as it usually is. In fact, the only thing I can complain about it the fact that someone in my family (perhaps an elf I have been reading about lately) is leaving bottles of water where only a small amount has been consumed (that's why I think it could be an elf because it is such a small amount). Sure, there were the typical 5,000 packs of condiments from every fast food restaurant within a two mile radius, some fruit no longer edible and the same jar of pickles which has been there since we bought the place and has never been opened so I think it is still good.

The one thing I loathe about this fridge is a plastic piece about the size of a magic marker, which sits between the two pull out drawers on the bottom shelf. It is just about impossible to put it back the right way and to get the two drawers to fit just right so everything moves smoothly. It is obvious it was an afterthought to the designers of the fridge. There isn't a clip or anything to hold this thing in place and it is pretty simple looking it looks like it could go in anyway but no, it goes in a certain way, facing a certain direction which requires a balancing act to pull off this entire contraption. It takes more time to get this thing right than it does to clean the rest of the fridge.

I've thought about purchasing a new fridge, super glue, or color coding or even a large note writtan on the bottom but I always think "I have a college degree and I can figure this out!" However, but the time I clean out the fridge again, I have forgotten all about it. It is probably the same phenomenon where women forget about the pain of childbirth and have another kid.

Well, next up, the microwave. The last time I cleaned this thing out my hair got caught on the metal hook on the inside of the door and I almost had to call 911...this time, I'm putting my hair up in a clip.

4 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Blogger bettygram said...

It has been along time since I have really done spring cleaning. I am still moving,right.

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Color code it. Now!

In two weeks is Spring Break -- and I will do some major cleaning.

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I walk into a room thinking that I should do something. But, then the feeling goes away. Later, I keep saying. BTW did you see that Brett Favre decided to retire?

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

WE saw the sun today does that constitute Spring?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home