Lori's Minute

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Thanks, Brett!

Well, I couldn't let Brett retire without saying anything. It is hard to describe how I feel. I am happy for him but I will miss him. He has been there every Sunday until the end of the season and I would patiently wait until the next season to start because I knew he was going to be there. Not anymore.

I know many think we need to get over it, we knew it was coming but for me, here was a guy we do not see often in our lives. Someone who was loyal when many people, including former coaches, do not know the meaning of the word. Someone who gave it his all for 16 years. Have you ever stayed with anything for that period of time with that kind of pressure?

For 16 years he has had to put up with fans and media who won't leave him alone, watched many of his teammates who became close friends leave or get cut, left his family for months at a time. He overcame addiction, worked through his wife's cancer treatment and played the best game of his life the day after his dad died. How many of you could have done that?

I am so happy his career did not end because of an injury but because he knew it was time to move on. I don't expect him to change his mind or take part in any big farwells because that is the kind of guy he is. I am sure he will miss it, how could he not? But the reason he is able to leave and move on is because he knows he gave it everything he had. He just wanted to play football but the rest of us wanted more. Let him be. Show him your thanks by being happy for him and allowing him to go and do what he wants whatever that may be. Play golf, ride the tractor, take your daughter to school without worrying about how she will be treated because a game was lost. Live this time the way you played football and you will be fine. A lot of us could take a lesson from you. Have I done the best with what I have and to be honest, the answer is no...until now. Now I will do my best so I can teach my kids to do their best in whatever they choose to do with their lives. So that when it is all said and done, I can look back and say, "I did the best I could". What a great lesson that is to learn from somebody who some people say is just a football player. I know better and so do a lot of other people.

Thanks, Brett.

5 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lori -- this is a beautiful tribute AND a great sermon.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well said. I, too will miss him. I could always enjoy a game with him in it. I know how you feel. The Astros are in spring training now and the team looks very different. Several players have been traded. And now we dont have either Jeff Bagwell or Craig Biggio playing. Carig retired last year and it will take some time to get used to someone else playing second base.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger bettygram said...

That was well said. I am glad I got to see him play. I have seen him loose and win,not on tv but at the field.

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said. Had I not read Dr Johns blog though I would have not known what or who you were talking about! LOL!

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Dr.John said...

Believe it or not I agree with you. He was special.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home