Lori's Minute

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The Holidays

I had a nice holiday. I have reached the point in my life where I do not want anything for Christmas except to see the people I love happy.

Christmas Eve we went to church then to my mother's house where we opened gifts along with my brother's family. It was funny because when my sister-in-law and I exchanged gift cards, we were both embarassed because we could not remember the amount we got for each other! Then we went home to find our stockings had been filled while we were gone.

The next morning we got up to more gifts. My son got a bike among other things and my daughter got her video games and American Girl items along with a robe and slippers. I looked at my pile and noted that one could tell from looking at it that it was definetly a 'Mom' gift pile....a necklace, perfume, a book, a new bath scrungee with bath soaps and a yoga dvd. The same could be said for hubby's pile....a bunch of shirts for work, a computer game, a new showerhead and some tickets to a concert.

Later we headed to the in-laws in Neenah leaving our dog at home. There we had more gifts and a good meal. There is something special about walking into a house that smells like good food, ya know? We also played a family version of "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" and I made it all the way to the million dollar question which I should have gotten but blanked out so I guess I am not smarter than a fifth grader which I knew anyway. Sometimes I think a mosquito is smarter than me.

I did make a resolution to get into better shape and to try to get the house in order. THe worst room is my daughter's room. She was supposed to clean it but she has been sick. For the last three days I have been cleaning her room...the first day it took all day to haul out all the stuff, wash the bedding and vacuum the floor. The second day I emptied out the two dressers and washed all her clothes and put the dressers back in the room. I was so angry the first day I told her if she messes it up, I am taking the item and she will have to do chores to get it back. At least the second day I put on a John Denver cd (back to my high school days) and sang my brains out while cleaning so that made it easier. THe third day I went through most of the toys but I still have two bins to go through. I also managed to get all her books in order and went through all her doll house furniture. We are going to redo the house which my dad built for me but the walls and floors need to be redone just like a normal house! Now I have to find room in the basement for the stuff that is not going back into her room, garbage can or to the Salvation Army. (Three bags of garbage, people! Mostly empty packaging, tissues and broken toys).

Today she is home sick...she has had a bad cold for about a week. She goes to the doctor tomorrow if she is not better. My son tested for his first martial arts belt and should get the belt tonight so that is something to look forward to.

This post is much longer than I thought it was going to be....sorry about that!

Have a happy, healthy and prosperous new year!

3 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like weekly room checks are in order. I let mine get stacked up sometimes but I try to avoid any real health code violations -- like used Kleenex and empty food wrappers or dirty dishes. (Part of which is easy since I don't eat in the bedroom! Isn't it grand to be a grownup with one's own house?)

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

We had one of my daughters and her family here. Now I know the meaning of "silence is golden". Glad you had good holidays. I took the tree down yesterday. Now my back hurts from putting aways the ornaments. sigh.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger bettygram said...

Hope Bree is getting better and give you a hand. I don't mean aplause.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home