Lori's Minute

Friday, February 01, 2008

Happy Birthday , Pete!

Whenever I think of Pete's birthday, I think a couple of things...it was also Maya's birthday (our golden retriever who passed away) and it is also Lisa Marie Presley's birthday. I also think about the 'mercy date' as he calls it.

We had met Jan.2, 1993 when my brother and his then girlfriend asked if I wanted to go out to dinner with them and oh, by the way, Pete will be there. I had heard about Pete for two years, a guy my brother worked with so I was fine with it even though I had never met him. We went his house and I had a couple of 'foreshadowing moments' that made me pause....he had a hot tub and when he opened the cover, there was a little yellow rubber ducky floating around. I thought that was cute and funny. I also noticed he had a motion light which is beneficial and almost a life saver to soemone with my night blindness.

Off we went to dinner to the Olive Garden, a place I had never been to because I am not a pasta person but they did have steak. It turns out he had steak as well...cool.

A week goes by and he FINALLY calls me and after an hour conversation, he asks me out. We go out to a movie and had a nice time.(Aladdin was the movie). I find out that his birthday is the following week and I insist on taking him out. He thinks it is a mercy date...he paid for the first date, now once she pays for this date it is "adios" my friend.

I remember what I wore, jeans with brown suede shoes, a white blouse with a brown vest and a black blazer type jacket. I also wore a black hat and the whole night I wanted to take it off because it was itchy.

We got engaged about two months later...I do not remember the first kiss or the first time he said or I said we loved each other but I remember the mercy date.

It wasn't a mercy date, of course, but I think he still thinks it was.

Happy Birthday, Pete!

4 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lori, if all these years of marriage and two kids later he hasn't figured out it wasn't a mercy date, he isn't going to!

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

I am so glad he found you.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger bettygram said...

What I remember about the birth of Pete besides the birth pains etc was there was a storm on the Jan.31,and it was a Sunday. I called a congregation member to take me and the car did a spin as we were on the way to the hospital.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well obviously "the quality of mercy is not strained" as Shakespeare would say. Well done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home