Lori's Minute

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Buyer Beware

Last week in our newspaper, there was an article about an auction company who was hired to clean out someone's house and auction off all the items to go to the owner's estate. The owner, an elderly woman, is in a home and unable to communicate.

While going through the house, they discovered what 'could be' an painting by Jackson Pollack, the artist whose work looks like someone splattered paint on a canvas. The owner's sister said if she had seen it while she was cleaning the house, she would have thrown it away.

Today I saw on the crawl at the bottom of the tv screen, the painting sold for
$53,000. It is sold on a 'buyer's beware' because it may not actually be a Pollack but if it is, it will bring much more on the market. Some of his work has sold for millions.

The moral of the story is do not have your relatives clean out your house!(I am sure my family will be relieved to hear this because our house would be a nightmare and I am sure the million computer/electronic pieces are worthless because where we live we have to pay to dump them).

Family Update: The kids are off school today and it was nice to sleep in for a change...I think it was what we all needed. This weekend we turn our clocks back an hour and this will help greatly when we have to get up at six to see the oldest off to school since we are both having a hard time getting up then. I know all you early birds are laughing at us but we are truly a family of night owls.

7 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Blogger Louisiana said...

thank you for the heads up..in this home i don't have priceless anything..and not even computer pieces but i do have a lovely, huge turtle collection,lol...

glad you got some extra zzz's..how are your eye's doing? being thiking about you hon.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Catch said...

Im not laughing, I understand you nightowls comepletely....Im the same way. I went to bed at 4am and got up at 1:30 pm. and I slept good!!! lol.

A couple years ago when my Mom sold her house and was moving out, my SIL's were helping to pack up stuff. My Mom had tons of purses and shoes, so they took some of the stuff to the Goodwill store. They called my Mom a couple days later, they found $800 in one of the purses! They could have just kept the money and no one would have been the wiser...but they were honest! My Mom donated a $100 to the Goodwill and gave the girl that found the purse and made the phone call $100.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

After I die the best way to clean my house will likely be with a can of gasoline and a match. If I have anything valuable I'll be sure to note it, otherwise, I'm the poor relative so who'd want my junk?.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

We auctioned off items at my sister city of my mothers. That went well except one the valuable vases got broken.We don't have anything of value except to us.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's why I plan to get rid of everything before I die or, God forbid, end up that way.

Yeah, Hubby will like the extra sleep. But Daisy will probably still insist on going outside in the early am.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Dr.John said...

What time does B ree go to school? Wow that sounds horrible.

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We used to be night owls. Until Binker. Now we can not stay up for SNL on Saturdays. Now matter how hard we try we just can't do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home