Lori's Minute

Monday, September 11, 2006

Splish Splash

Today when I went to pick up my five year old from school, it was raining....more like sprinkling. We only live two blocks away so it was not too bad on the way there except it was windy and my umbrella was hard to hold on to. (Is it ever raining and NOT windy???)

I waited a few minutes trying to watch for my son to come out but he found me before I found him. The first thing he asked me was if I made brownies and I said "No, we are out." so we headed on home. He saw a puddle and his eyes lit up. I considered telling him not to splash in the puddle, but we were not on the way to school and just going home so I let him. To get him to leave the puddle to get closer to home I would look ahead and see another puddle and tell him, "Oh, I see another one, come on!" He would go and splash in the next one until we finally made it home.

We got in the house and he took off his wet shoes, his socks and his pants in the laundry room and put on some dry ones and went to find his sister.

Thinking about all the kids who lost their parents on 9/11, I am so glad I am here to watch my son splish-splash in the puddles.

7 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

What a gift your children have -- a mom who allows splashing in puddles!

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

On behalf of your son I say thank you. Yes I am also glad that you are able to take care of him and his sister. I am glad that your hubby did not go to New York to work in the towers.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Louisiana said...

i'm another mom grateful that your kids have both of their parents.


i don't know if i offended anyone with my post, definetely not my intention. i too feel the loss and suffering for what happened 5 yrs ago, how can we all not? i understand that not everything can be dealt with words or hugs. i was just trying to express my sorrow of the wrong choices mankind makes over and over. i wasn't ever trying to critize the US precense anywhere. i was speaking of Hitler or Landen and their choices.

i wish the world to be different but it isn't..but i can keep on hoping and trying to help anyway i can which i realize is limited at best.
when dates like this come around. when images of suffering and death are all around me all i can think of is that of a little girl who in the middle of a war didn't understand why anyone wanted to shoot me or kill others.
i don't understand war and loss. i have lived it and breath it. i'm terrified for all of us. i want peace.

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you let him splash and enjoy being a kid. So many people would have not let them. That shows you are a caring, loving, and fun mom!

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Bazza said...

You can't beat a bit of splish splashing, try joining in some time and watch the look on his face!

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Catch said...

good for you Lori!!! letting him splash in the puddleis something Im sure he very much enjoyed! hes a lucky kid to have you for a Mom!

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

I used to love to do thata when I was a kid. He takes after his gramps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home