Lori's Minute

Friday, December 14, 2007

A Holiday Poem

THis is the poem I wrote for the holiday letter I sent out this year.

Twas the day of Thanksgiving at our house this year,
Everything was going well until the guests got here.

With their new puppy the in-laws were the first in town,
Our dog and their dog knocked Grandpa John down.

They came bringing candy, warm rolls and two pies,
then came my mother with her bean dish surprise.

I put her to work mashing the potatoes with care,
Suddenly she said, "What's going on over there?"

I turned around slowly and set down my Coke,
only to discover the kitchen filling with smoke.

I had left a stove burner on (when will I learn?)
I set the bread board on top and it started to burn!

Although it was smoky the food turned out fine,
Pete opened some windows as we sat down to dine.

Then at the table we each took our place,
We all held hands as Luke started to say grace.

"Grace!" he said followed with "Let's eat!"
"Say more, " said his sister as he squirmed in his seat.

"Thanks, God, for this family and all of this food."
"Amen" we all said feeling the holiday mood.

We each went around the table saying our thanks for the day,
Interrupted by Pete yelling, "Touchdown, Green Bay!"

Despite all the mishaps, it was a good day,
No one was hurt, (well, no blood anyway).

The gift of being with family during the holidays is dear,
Our wish is the same for you in the coming new year.

5 Comments:

At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of that with no mention of burple? Have you abandoned your mission already? Of course, the chances of your lips turning burple while you are burning the house down via cutting board are probably slim to none.

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was great! For teh first time I would enjoy getting a Christams letter!

Glad no one was hurt! If it makes you feel better...because of space I once kept a plastic cake holder in the oven. While preparing a meatloaf I preheated the oven. Soon the smoke alarm was going off and I could not figure out why. WHAT A MESS!!!!!!!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very nice. Care to take up poetry for fun and profit?

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

It is a great letter. A fine family tradition.

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas! Or, as we say in Hawaii, Mele Kalikimaka!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home