Lori's Minute

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Window Shopping

For about a year, I have needed new curtains for the sliding glass doors off our family room and our dining room. I had painted the walls a new color and the vertical blinds no longer matched or worked (as hubby points out). So, the other night while we were out, hubby and kids went to the office supply store where I went next door to the home center which I will not name.

I go to the back of the store where the curtains and window treatments are and I immediately find curtains I like (rarely happens). It is right next to the desk where a worker is helping another person. They both leave and I foolishly assume she will be back. I do have a question and it is a simple one....do they have more of the curtain rings since there are only three packs and I need four?

I wait 20 minutes....nobody comes back. Now I am the only person in the department until my family shows up. I tell them why I am waiting and they suggest perhaps other rings in another style will work so we check them all out and they will not. I am set on the ones I have in my hand along with the four packs of curtains which of course, are sold one panel a package rather than a set. (What????)

Another 20 minutes pass and hubby volunteers to go up to the front and request help. I hear the announcement for help in the windows dept. and no one comes. Hubby practically tackles a person from another dept. who says if the item is not there on the floor, it is not in stock but they can order it.

By this time I am quite upset and decide to leave. I do purchase the curtain panels because they are a color I really like and I do not want to take the chance they will be at another store since this is the only one in town by that name.

Once at home, I get more and more upset and frustrated to the point where I cannot sleep. I decided I must call the next day and talk to the manager, which I do.

I explain that someone was there, left and never came back. The manager says that is unusual because there is always someone there because people always have a lot of questions in that department (My point exactly). She asks what I want her to do. I ask her to please ask the worker why she would not help me. Was she taking a longer break than usual? Did she go home sick? Did my white cane throw her off? Perhaps I have an odor problem I am not aware of?

I really do not understand people who work in customer service and then do not help!!!!!! Errrrrrghhhhhhh!

The manager says she will find out and call me back sometime this week. All I really want is an apology from the worker who blew me off and nothing else will do. I'll let you know if I get one but I am not holding my breath.

Meanwhile, I still need the curtain rings.

3 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I really understand how you feel.I have been ignored or abandoned by sales people too. Sometimes the managers are helpful. One time I was about to buy a lot of stuff and could not get anyone to wait on me at the check out counter. When someone finally came to check me out I was so mad, I dumped the stuff on the counter and left. Maybe you can find hangers somewhere else?

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The manager wanted to know what you wanted her to do about it?!

For starters, how about hiring competent help?!

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

Boy am I glad your not holding your breath. Incompetent workers seem to be the norm rather than the exception.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home