Lori's Minute

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Anatomy of a Napper

I am one of those people who loves to take naps. My napping skills started when I was a baby and then stopped until I was in high school and got a job. No, I wasn't sleeping on the job, either! I would get home from school and had a hour to kill before I had to leave for work so I would nap. In college, I worked right there on campus so in between classes and work, I would nap on one of the many napping areas.The campus had a lot of carpeted studying areas. (It helps to be hearing impaired because I do not hear all the whisperings and snickering of the people around me). Then, when I started working after graduation, on the nice spring days, I would sit in my car, put the seat back and nap for 20 minutes.

Then came the kids. I could never nap when they were napping because I was always worried I would not hear them, even with a monitor it was so noisy. If I did manage to sneak one in, the phone would ring or the doorbell or the dog would need to go outside. So, most of my naps took place on the weekends while hubby watched the kids.

Fast forward ten years later and now both kids are in school. I have taken one nap since then and I felt like a truck hit me when I woke up so now I am thinking maybe it is not such a good idea. The couch sure looks comfy.....oh. but it is early release day and my daughter is due home any second and then we are going to walk to get my son. There is always tomorrow....

8 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger Louisiana said...

i'm with you. i love naps or siestas. my body was meant to have them. i just woke up from one, i swear.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Catch said...

I love a good nap!!!! Sometimes I just cant keep my eyes open! It feels so good to be able to just snooze for a few minutes!!

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

The trick is, don't nap too long!

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

I never took naps. When the kids were small and they took naps I would take that time to do all that had to get done. I am a senior now. I still can not go and lay down for a nap, but just after lunch if I sit in the recliner off to sleep I go.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Dr.John said...

I can't take naps. When I do I wake up all groggy and feel like I waws run over by a truck.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I always feel guilty if I try to take a nap. I find myself thinking of things I should be doing.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I always feel guilty if I try to take a nap. I find myself thinking of things I should be doing.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Deb said...

In Italy and a lot of European places, naps are to be taken seriously. They take a nap in between work. I think the US should incorporate this great idea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home