Lori's Minute

Sunday, August 13, 2006

I am glad I am not a doctor

When I was younger, in middle school, I thought I might want to be a doctor after watching a video on heart surgery. Then, I found out I am not good at science and later on realized I would have to touch people and I do not like touching people.

As a mother, I am not a good doctor either because I am not very sympathetic. If my kids are in pain or have an ache but they will not take medicine, I figure I cannot help them and so be it. My daughter does not like to take medicine but my son will so at least I can help him some of the time.

My husband I am not sympathetic towards either because he likes to try and change things around even if something is already working. For instance, he uses a c-pap machine at night. For the longest time he had trouble getting it to work, like months. Finally he got it to work but insteead of doing it that way the next night, he wanted to try it a different way, maybe it would be better. He has a tummy pill he is supposed to take every day but he only takes it if his tummy starts to hurt so it never heals all the way.

Now I have had stomach pains for the last week unlike any other pain I have ever had. It reminds me of when I had appendicitis but I had that removed and this pain comes and goes in waves with no other symptoms. I decide to look on line and for some reason looked up conjuntivitis but that is, of course, pink eye! What I was looking for was something called diverculosis(sp?) which has something to do with food getting stuck in the intestines but I do not think that is what it is either.

Then we were all sitting around eating lunch and I aid, "Well, I am going to try to ignore it and get on with my life." a typical reaction on my part. My husband says, "Noooooooo, you will go to the doctor".

Oh yeah, that is what you do when you do not get better.

Well, we had some sad news today. Pete and Bre went to church (I was home sick with Luke who was still asleep) and the sermon was about a boy Bre's age who passed away last week. We did not know anything about it and missed the funeral. He had a heart condition and apparently woke up and passed out. He was in Bre's First Communion class and was excited to take part in communion which he wanted as part of his funeral. His name was Luke and he like Star Wars.

After the service, Pete and Bre went groceries and they ran into the family that lost their son. So, they stopped and chatted a bit and Pete gave them our condolences. Breanna wrote a nice post on her blog which you can get to from my sidebar. They were really the only family we have gotten to know since we joined this church and now we missed his funeral.

8 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, Blogger B.R.L said...

I will start with go to the doctor.
Your hubby is much like his father.
It is so sad when someone dies when they are so young.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

1. Go to the doctor.

2. Remember to keep in touch with this family and to help them talk about their son. That will be much more important than attending his funeral.

3. The Liar's Contest poll is up on my blog. Run over and vote for yourself as The Greatest Liar ever. Bring your friends along to vote to. Since it's a Liar's Contest we are all obviously short on integrity, so there is no limit to how many times you can vote -- or how often. Let the games begin!

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Louisiana said...

i don't think you will ever have any idea of how much you help me today. the topic of health and how much i don't look after myself has come up again with Joe and how frustrating it is for him not to have control over my bad decisions yet everyone then deals with the consequences. i appreciate a view of the other side. i should be more responsible. i can understand how your hubby does the stomach pill. i swear, this is just what we discussed yesterday. i have big problems with my ibs right now and have not kept up with the meds, etc... i shall try to grow up and do better. thank you.

now tell the hubby to write to Joe and see how bad it feels from the other end...lol..maybe they can help each other out too. :)

i'm so sorry about Luke. how heartbreaking. we never know when it's our time for sure. i'm sorry Bree is hurting too. this is frightening. i'm sure the family knows why you weren't there.

i hope you are feeling better. much love to the family.

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Louisiana said...

ps. please hon, go to the doctor. it's important. your health is important. do it for you, the kids, the hubby, the in-laws, me, lol..anything and everything...and i shall follow my own advice and be good to me about my health too...

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Dr.John said...

I hate being sick. I hate going to the doctor. I must be in a hateful mood today.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger kristi said...

You need to get to the doctor.

Last year a student in the 2nd grade with my son passed from Cancer. She was not in his class but he knew her from school. It had an impact on him so I am sure that it is affecting your daughter. I hope that Bre is doing alright.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Catch said...

Bree wrote a lovely post! Now get yourself to the Doctor!!!!! Dont make me come up there!!!!! lol

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about Luke. It is a shame you did not know about it.

I used to know someone with diverticulosis. You should go to the dr. Lead by example instead of being like your hubby. LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home