Lori's Minute

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Vacation of a Lifetime

Finally, after seven long years, we went someplace on a family vacation. The kids have been asking to go to Disney for a couple years so since last August, we started to save money by eating more at home. I think we managed to save about $1200, which is enough to pay for the airline tickets and our hotel. A week before we left our hot water heater broke and it took about half of the savings but we were still going and we were going to a have a good time on our family vacation!!!!!

But, first we had to get there.

Due to our procrastination, we took a flight which landed in Orlando at 11:30 at night. By the time we got the luggage and the rental car it was one a.m. Then the directions hubby printed out were too small for me to read and I had left my magnifying glass in my luggage. Finally, after wondering for 20 minutes if we were going in the right direction, I ask him to pull over at the 7-11.

Now, I am not too sure how often a middle aged, blind woman walks into a 7-11 in Florida but I got the impression it's not too often. I realize later it was probably not a smart thing to do but in my defense I was delirious due to lack of sleep from packing non-stop for three days. I have to say, the two young guys in the store were so nice and helpful and even spoke in my language. The one guy told me the hotel was only two blocks away, "right by the Taco Bell and the IHOP". I can find anything if it is next to a restaurant.

Going back to the car, another guy gets out of his car but I do not see him until I hear his voice, "Here" he says as I jump and shout to which he says, "I'm sorry, ma'am , I am just gonna get the car door for you!" I say thank you and off we go.

Now we are at the hotel, we all have at least one piece of luggage and another item, we have to walk up a flight of stairs which are not lit and get to our room. There's a lot of "Mom, are you coming? Over here, Mom! Turn this way, watch that step, look out for the pole, Not that room! " We check the room out and except for what could be mold in the fridge, it seems ok so we all go to bed and fall asleep. It is two a.m. Day one of our 'vacation of a lifetime' has come to an end.

Tomorrow, day two.

1 Comments:

At 6:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lori -- sounds like we plan trips with the same style and flair!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home